Urch Forums

F1 Visa rejected as "Not convinced with the finances"

Truckguy

Hey Guys,

6/26/08. My sister applied for her F1 in Chennai and she got it rejected when the VO said "I am not convinced with the financial documents"

My dad retired a few years ago and he got a large sum of money. So we showed that amount with all the other investments, and income from rental properties (rental agreements), my mom's paycheck..and more..

Acc to my sis the conversation was like this:

VO: how did you get $33000 cash in your bank account. (The I20 required about $25000.)

Sis: we have money in investements and FD(fixed deposits) that was transferred into the bank account.

VO: how did you get the money into FD?

Sis: My dad has been working for 35 years and has saved all this money. We have property rental income and here are the rental agreements to show the proof. My mom still works for the Govt and here are her paychecks. My dad retired in 2001 and he got a lump sum of money that was invested in FDs and such. Here is bank statments for the last few months telling its all genuine and property evaluation document showing the worth of property. CA statements etc.

VO: hmm.. am not convinced.. your father worked for 35 years and retired and got a lump sum.. hmm.. you dont have any documents to show that.

Sis: That was 7 years ago he retired and his money was all transferred into banks and FD and other investments then. I have bank statments from March 2008.

VO: Somehow am not convinced.. I have to deny visa..

Now I think we should reapply with more proof about my dad's retirement money and sources of funds... Is there anything else we need to worry about or prepare?

Hey Guys,

6/26/08. My sister applied for her F1 in Chennai and she got it rejected when the VO said "I am not convinced with the financial documents"

My dad retired a few years ago and he got a large sum of money. So we showed that amount with all the other investments, and income from rental properties (rental agreements), my mom's paycheck..and more..

Acc to my sis the conversation was like this:

VO: how did you get $33000 cash in your bank account. (The I20 required about $25000.)

Sis: we have money in investements and FD(fixed deposits) that was transferred into the bank account.

VO: how did you get the money into FD?

Sis: My dad has been working for 35 years and has saved all this money. We have property rental income and here are the rental agreements to show the proof. My mom still works for the Govt and here are her paychecks. My dad retired in 2001 and he got a lump sum of money that was invested in FDs and such. Here is bank statments for the last few months telling its all genuine and property evaluation document showing the worth of property. CA statements etc.

VO: hmm.. am not convinced.. your father worked for 35 years and retired and got a lump sum.. hmm.. you dont have any documents to show that.

Sis: That was 7 years ago he retired and his money was all transferred into banks and FD and other investments then. I have bank statments from March 2008.

VO: Somehow am not convinced.. I have to deny visa..

Now I think we should reapply with more proof about my dad's retirement money and sources of funds... Is there anything else we need to worry about or prepare?

Yes just do that because your visa was denied without much proof of how your dad accumulated the wealth.

Do you think taking a bank draft for the 1st sem or 1st year is necessary or going to help?

Enlighten me about that. Actually I am her brother (unmarried) and am in the US 8 years, now on H1B. They never asked her anything about me and she did not mention. Actually, I plan to fund her for her education, even though we did not show any of such sort until now as we were able to show enuf funds in india itself.

So, if she takes a bank draft can she return it to the bank if she wants?

Do you think taking a bank draft for the 1st sem or 1st year is necessary or going to help?

Enlighten me about that. Actually I am her brother (unmarried) and am in the US 8 years, now on H1B. They never asked her anything about me and she did not mention. Actually, I plan to fund her for her education, even though we did not show any of such sort until now as we were able to show enuf funds in india itself.

well I have always been advocating using bankdraft payable to Applicant during visa application and interview. In my opinion, a bankdraft payable to oneself has less hassle and less questions regarding your financial support. A bank statement from someone else is still belonging to that someone else.

Just my 2 cents

Good luck to your sister!

could anyone plz explain wats that bank draft..Is that a demand draft from bank or a bank loan approval letter or a bank loan cheque..plz explain?..

As far as I know the Bank Draft is like a demand draft or travellers check. It can be made payable to anyone you ask for. its done in the bank and its done when you have the money in your account. The bank creates a 'cheque' in the person's name you ask for. Its guarantee that you have the money and most times money is deducted from your account as soon as you create the draft. (Its not good if you lose the draft coz your money is already withdrawn, but whoever some finder also cant make use of it coz its drawn in a particular person's name -so, there *may be* some options to retrieve money if its lost)

If you take a DD or Bank Draft from a Bank with Foreign Exchange services then you can get it to be payable to anyone (take it in your name) in $ currecy. You can deposit this as soon as you come to US and open a bank account.

Something is not correct here.

If you submitted a bank account with 33000 and the I-20 stated 25000, then it should be OK.

Further, I do not think the VO will ask how you got 33000 in your bank account.

The bank account your sister showed was your parents' account or your sisters?

Tino

My apologies. I didnt read in full when replying to your message in my last reply. The answer is YES. You would need to go to the bank that issued the bankdraft and the fund wil be returned to you at the prevailing exchange rate of the day.

The Account was parents.. but $33000 is suddenly a big amount to keeep in the bank.. and for the paycheck of my mom that she showed.. and for the rental income papers it should it definitely is not eazy to pool in $33000.. The big chunk in that big $ amount is my dad's retirement lump sum.. but as the retirement was 7 years ago.. she did not carry any document showing retirement or lump sum amount source. She has applied again and hopefully this time they will be more considerate and issue the visa.

Good luck to her..

If you mean that the bank account was low (say 5000) and then less than a month before the interview you deposited money into it to bring it up to 33000, then that is suspicous to the VO, obviously.

But if the account has had 20-40000 for the last year or more, just bring proof of that.

Tino

Tino,

The account has always had big transactions.. but well it happened.. no point now..

Paradox,

you recommeded taking a bank draft.. how about just having sufficient balance of about a year's fees in my sister's bank account? would that be any help?

• 2 weeks later...
She got the visa this time around. 7.30am appointment. Very eazy 2 questions asked. -What were your scores? - Who is sponsoring you? - No Papers checked.. no questions about previous interview. Thanks for all your advices here. Good job everyone.

She got the visa this time around. 7.30am appointment. Very eazy 2 questions asked. -What were your scores? - Who is sponsoring you? - No Papers checked.. no questions about previous interview. Thanks for all your advices here. Good job everyone.

hey Congratulations to your sister. Good that things are working out. Cheers

Truckguy, which country are you from? and where did your sister have the interview? I'm in a similar situation as her, applying for F1 visa in the next 3 weeks.

Sorry for the delay in response Van_do.

Whats your story?

I came to US from India on f1 8 yrs ago. Before 911 the policies were totally difft. My sis is coming from bangalore and she got her visa in the second attempt in Chennai. According to her the second attempt, which was early morning, she was the second person to a VO and he was more than willing to give her visa without asking any documents..

Goodluck with your second attempt!

• 5 years later...

I was rejected because my consular was not convinced with my $25k fund. In my case, my I20 shows total of $20k per year and $14k(Sunrise Bank) was funded by my grandfather and another $4500 was funded by my uncle. Furthermore, my grandfather invested $25k in a private firm because that gave high interest rate, so for visa purpose we withdrew that money and made a new bank account in Nabil Bank in another bank and deposited there. I did few transactions with Nabil bank's account. I do have paperworks (agreement letter) with that private firm. I attached that letter along with my bank statement and consular didn't even look at the paper.

My interview was on june 18 (New account so transaction of few days were shown)

V.O :lump sum of $25k deposited in may 27. Explain?

Me : Said as described above (High interest rate; see agreement letter)

V.O: I am not convinced with your funds. I deny your visa..

So, what should i do exactly?? Make bank drafts?? I want to reapply for my visa interview in early july.

Please guys, your help will be greatly appreciated. I am going through bad time... :(