Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: F1 Visa rejected as "Not convinced with the finances"

  1. #1
    Washington, DC
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    13


    Good post? Yes | No

    F1 Visa rejected as "Not convinced with the finances"

    Sponsored Ad:
    Hey Guys,

    6/26/08. My sister applied for her F1 in Chennai and she got it rejected when the VO said "I am not convinced with the financial documents"

    My dad retired a few years ago and he got a large sum of money. So we showed that amount with all the other investments, and income from rental properties (rental agreements), my mom's paycheck..and more..
    Acc to my sis the conversation was like this:

    VO: how did you get $33000 cash in your bank account. (The I20 required about $25000.)
    Sis: we have money in investements and FD(fixed deposits) that was transferred into the bank account.
    VO: how did you get the money into FD?
    Sis: My dad has been working for 35 years and has saved all this money. We have property rental income and here are the rental agreements to show the proof. My mom still works for the Govt and here are her paychecks. My dad retired in 2001 and he got a lump sum of money that was invested in FDs and such. Here is bank statments for the last few months telling its all genuine and property evaluation document showing the worth of property. CA statements etc.
    VO: hmm.. am not convinced.. your father worked for 35 years and retired and got a lump sum.. hmm.. you dont have any documents to show that.
    Sis: That was 7 years ago he retired and his money was all transferred into banks and FD and other investments then. I have bank statments from March 2008.
    VO: Somehow am not convinced.. I have to deny visa..

    Now I think we should reapply with more proof about my dad's retirement money and sources of funds... Is there anything else we need to worry about or prepare?

  2. #2
    Within my grasp!
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    13


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckguy View Post
    Hey Guys,

    6/26/08. My sister applied for her F1 in Chennai and she got it rejected when the VO said "I am not convinced with the financial documents"

    My dad retired a few years ago and he got a large sum of money. So we showed that amount with all the other investments, and income from rental properties (rental agreements), my mom's paycheck..and more..
    Acc to my sis the conversation was like this:

    VO: how did you get $33000 cash in your bank account. (The I20 required about $25000.)
    Sis: we have money in investements and FD(fixed deposits) that was transferred into the bank account.
    VO: how did you get the money into FD?
    Sis: My dad has been working for 35 years and has saved all this money. We have property rental income and here are the rental agreements to show the proof. My mom still works for the Govt and here are her paychecks. My dad retired in 2001 and he got a lump sum of money that was invested in FDs and such. Here is bank statments for the last few months telling its all genuine and property evaluation document showing the worth of property. CA statements etc.
    VO: hmm.. am not convinced.. your father worked for 35 years and retired and got a lump sum.. hmm.. you dont have any documents to show that.
    Sis: That was 7 years ago he retired and his money was all transferred into banks and FD and other investments then. I have bank statments from March 2008.
    VO: Somehow am not convinced.. I have to deny visa..

    Now I think we should reapply with more proof about my dad's retirement money and sources of funds... Is there anything else we need to worry about or prepare?
    Yes just do that because your visa was denied without much proof of how your dad accumulated the wealth.

  3. #3
    Washington, DC
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    13


    Good post? Yes | No
    Do you think taking a bank draft for the 1st sem or 1st year is necessary or going to help?

    Enlighten me about that. Actually I am her brother (unmarried) and am in the US 8 years, now on H1B. They never asked her anything about me and she did not mention. Actually, I plan to fund her for her education, even though we did not show any of such sort until now as we were able to show enuf funds in india itself.
    So, if she takes a bank draft can she return it to the bank if she wants?

  4. #4
    Within my grasp!
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    13


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckguy View Post
    Do you think taking a bank draft for the 1st sem or 1st year is necessary or going to help?

    Enlighten me about that. Actually I am her brother (unmarried) and am in the US 8 years, now on H1B. They never asked her anything about me and she did not mention. Actually, I plan to fund her for her education, even though we did not show any of such sort until now as we were able to show enuf funds in india itself.
    So, if she takes a bank draft can she return it to the bank if she wants?
    well I have always been advocating using bankdraft payable to Applicant during visa application and interview. In my opinion, a bankdraft payable to oneself has less hassle and less questions regarding your financial support. A bank statement from someone else is still belonging to that someone else.

    Just my 2 cents

    Good luck to your sister!

  5. #5
    Trying to make mom and pop proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    13


    Good post? Yes | No
    could anyone plz explain wats that bank draft..Is that a demand draft from bank or a bank loan approval letter or a bank loan cheque..plz explain?..

  6. #6
    Washington, DC
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    13


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by good View Post
    could anyone plz explain wats that bank draft..Is that a demand draft from bank or a bank loan approval letter or a bank loan cheque..plz explain?..
    As far as I know the Bank Draft is like a demand draft or travellers check. It can be made payable to anyone you ask for. its done in the bank and its done when you have the money in your account. The bank creates a 'cheque' in the person's name you ask for. Its guarantee that you have the money and most times money is deducted from your account as soon as you create the draft. (Its not good if you lose the draft coz your money is already withdrawn, but whoever some finder also cant make use of it coz its drawn in a particular person's name -so, there *may be* some options to retrieve money if its lost)

    If you take a DD or Bank Draft from a Bank with Foreign Exchange services then you can get it to be payable to anyone (take it in your name) in $ currecy. You can deposit this as soon as you come to US and open a bank account.

  7. #7
    An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,585
    Rep Power
    23


    Good post? Yes | No
    Something is not correct here.

    If you submitted a bank account with 33000 and the I-20 stated 25000, then it should be OK.

    Further, I do not think the VO will ask how you got 33000 in your bank account.

    The bank account your sister showed was your parents' account or your sisters?

    Tino

  8. #8
    Within my grasp!
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    13


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckguy View Post
    So, if she takes a bank draft can she return it to the bank if she wants?

    My apologies. I didnt read in full when replying to your message in my last reply. The answer is YES. You would need to go to the bank that issued the bankdraft and the fund wil be returned to you at the prevailing exchange rate of the day.

  9. #9
    Washington, DC
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    13


    Good post? Yes | No
    The Account was parents.. but $33000 is suddenly a big amount to keeep in the bank.. and for the paycheck of my mom that she showed.. and for the rental income papers it should it definitely is not eazy to pool in $33000.. The big chunk in that big $ amount is my dad's retirement lump sum.. but as the retirement was 7 years ago.. she did not carry any document showing retirement or lump sum amount source. She has applied again and hopefully this time they will be more considerate and issue the visa.

    Good luck to her..

  10. #10
    An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,585
    Rep Power
    23


    Good post? Yes | No
    If you mean that the bank account was low (say 5000) and then less than a month before the interview you deposited money into it to bring it up to 33000, then that is suspicous to the VO, obviously.

    But if the account has had 20-40000 for the last year or more, just bring proof of that.

    Tino

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Turning down acceptances: Do universities ever feel "rejected"?
    By rationalexpectations in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-22-2009, 12:34 PM
  2. Not convinced with so called "OA"
    By Jaguar36608 in forum GMAT Data Sufficiency
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2008, 06:00 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 07:23 AM
  4. is no funding really being "nicely rejected"?
    By cantabrigian in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-30-2007, 09:59 PM
  5. The Official "No no no, YOU'RE REJECTED!" thread
    By Zavera in forum Graduate Admissions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 02:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •