Urch Forums

Grad School Application Advice

csGrad

Hello, I am looking for some advice on schools to apply to for PhD.

My profile is such.

M.S. UCLA - gpa 3.8

GRE - 800q, 710v, 5.0 AWA

I don't have a lot of research papers as I was mainly focusing on coursework and working while doing my Master's. I am wondering what my chances are of getting into the following programs for Phd.

Stanford

Berkeley

Carnegie Mellon

UIUC

University of Washington

Princeton

California Institute of Technology

I did my undergraduate work at UCLA in physics with 3.4 gpa. I have done some research like projects as part of the M.S. program but I don't have any papers that are published in conferences.

I am just wondering what chances I have to attend any of the schools listed above. I was told by the department that I can most likely continue on for my PhD at UCLA as I scored top marks in several classes I took and made a favorable impression during my M.S., but I want to look at some other options.

I am thinking that Stanford and Berkeley are probably very long shots. I am not sure with the others.

Erm, all the other universities which you listed above are very difficult to crack with respect to the PhD.

The research projects will count, as will top notch letters of recommendation from top faculty in UCLA (if you have that kind of a rapport).

However, better indicators would have been publications in top international conferences like SIGGRAPH, SIGIR, SIGART, IEEE conferences and mixed conferences like IEEE/ACM ICDT etc.

I would wait for CalmLogic to reply to this post as he is post knowledgble about these than I am.