Urch Forums

Transitive vs. Intransitive Verbs

bilinguru

After reading Erin Billy's article on the difference between transitive and intransitive verbs at

TestMagic Test Prep

I have a couple of comments.,

First, I applaud Erin on pointing out the importance of being able to tell the difference and the difficulties students have with this grammar point.

Before thinking about transitivity, I think it is important to first point out that the verb 'to be' falls into neither category. It is in a class of its own and creates an A=B sentence pattern (usually notated as SVC).

There are other 'be' verbs that create this pattern (become, get, seem, appear, taste, feels, smell, sound, look.)

Examples: He became angry. He got angry. He seems angry. He appears friendly. He looks angry. It tastes delicious. It sounds wonderful. It smells great. It felt nice.)

'Do' verbs are all the other verbs in english, and it is these 'do' verbs that can be divided into 'transitive' verbs requiring direct objects (make, have, etc.) and 'intransitive' verbs (swim, cry, etc.) that don't take objects and 'ditransitive' verbs that can go either way. (eat, play, etc.)

In fact, taste, smell and feel are examples of verbs that can be both 'be' verbs AND 'do' verbs.

Example: He tasted the sauce S Vt O

The sauce tasted bitter. S V C

The dog smelled the tree. S vt O

The rose smelled beautiful. S V C

She felt the stone. S Vt O

The stone felt smooth. S V C

Notice these sensation verbs are 'transitive' when used as 'do' verbs.

AND when used as 'be' verbs in the A=B pattern, the B must be an adjective (not a noun.)

The good news about transitivity is that verbs that are transitive in one language are usually transitive in English. Sometimes they are not.

If you are wondering about what verbs to study (and I think increasing your vocabulary of verbs is the fastest way to develop fluency) you should study verbs that have a different transitivity from your native language and English.

Whatever you do, when you are learning new verbs, make sure to note if they are Vt or Vi as Erin suggests!!!

Good studying!!

Brian:D