Urch Forums

one of who Vs one of whom

savita

I tried looking at previous discussions, but I keep getting confused about the

usage of 'who' Vs 'whom'.

I understand 'who' should be used when usage is subject of a verb and 'whom' when it is object of verb.

In the following sentence

Presenters at the seminar, one of whom is blind, ...

why is one of whom correct ? I think this is an [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] question, but I came across it in Test code 28 as well. I havne't dug through [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] to see where I hit it.

The question you are referring to is [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] #194

194. Presenters at the seminar, one who is blind, will demonstrate adaptive equipment that allows visually impaired people to use computers.

(A) one who

(B) one of them who

© and one of them who

(D) one of whom

(E) one of which

Answer to Question 194

The subject, presenters, must be followed by a limiting appositive _ such as one of whom, that identifies an individual from among a larger group. Choice D is best: one of whom best serves an appositive to the subject, presenters, because the phrase means "one from among several or many." Choice A, one who, is unacceptable because one who cannot refer to the plural presenters. Choices B and C are ungrammatical because who competes with one as the subject of is. Choice E employs which, a relative pronoun that does not refer to people (presenters), but only to things.

Here's a really simple way to figure these problems out: whom, him, and them are all object pronouns; who, he, and they are all subject pronouns.

Sometimes (well, maybe even usually) it helps to plug in he/they or him/them to figure out whether we need who or whom.

In this case, we'd say one of them, not one of they.

Therefore, one of whom is preferable. :)