Urch Forums

Help! Test During November

LowScore

HELP!

I have given my first GMAt in 2003 and i got 430(yes,i messed up). I had prepared 15 days for this test(how dumb?)

Now,I am all set to take the test during November 2nd week 2004.

I have been preparing with these books:

ETS Official Guide 10th Edition

Kaplans GMAT with CD-ROM: 2005 Edition

Princeton Review

As of now,I have taken one test from Kaplan 2005 and scored 500(sucks).

I am yet to take 3 more Kaplan tests , 2 PowerPrep tests.

Here are few of my questions

1) What is the best way to increase my score above 630(thats what i need,i know,lot of you guys score way above).

2)Also,what is your recommendation on buying tests from www.800score.com?

3)What is the best material online to prpare for Verbal/Quant sections?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi LowScore, wish you good luck in your preparation for the GMAT this time. I wonder what made you choose LowScore as your login name? Doesn't it give you a negative feeling, when others call you LowScore?

Anyways, hope you reach your target and get into the school you want to.

As most people would concur, the Official guide is the best available resource for your test prep.

Also, you haven't mentioned what your verbal/quant break-up was like.That will help people give you more pointers on what you need to focus on.

Cheers

Soniya

Dear friend,

PLEASE change that Login Name. I strongly feel a PMA - POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE is absolutely required in everyone's life. Regardless of your score, you have qualities which are unique. Thus, a high score does not make anyone a "genius" just as a low score doesn't confer dumbness on anybody.

The GMAT amply rewards you for the quality time you put. There really is no substitute for hard work as Ursula always said. Why it didn't click for you the first time you have very well identified yourself. No one can ace the GMAT with 2 weeks of prep. I myself must have solved 4000+ questions before my shot at the GMAT.

If I can do it, there is no reason why you can't. So, never brand yourself in negative terms and never allow others also to brand you that way. Pep up your self-esteem, treat the GMAT with all respect due to it ( by investing quality time prepping :)) and I have no doubt you'll get a much higher score.

I DO NOT want to see a single more post from that login name, OK???

hi LowScore,

don't worry get it as an experience .. and now i think u get fimiliar with ur weak areas.. put extra effort ..

Ans # 1..

for 630 just go through all ur material that u have .. especially [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] .. read explanation of all questions in this book .. whether u point out the correct answer or wrong ..

1: Finish Princeton

2: Do kaplan

3: Before moving to [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] take the PP1 test ... and after doing [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] take the PP2 test ...

2: Don't waste ur money on 800score.. it can be available free online .. u can get it from other user .. or u can search on Kazaa software to download these papers..

3: Online Material hmmmmmmm .. TESTMAGIC ... ;) ..... put ur question here and read other threads and try to answer question by urself and then see the different explanations from different users ... TOP 5 users of this forum i rated :D is : Ursula, vingmat, spiderman, gmat-help, and me! hehe ..

check this thread:

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13372&page=2

and GMAT STUDY GUIDE

http://home.comcast.net/~dave.kim/G...dy_Strategy.htm

i hope it may help..

regards

Riz

This is coolsans (formerly LowScore)

Thanks to Soniya , vingmat , Riz .

I have changed my profile name to coolsans .Thanks to vingmat.

Let me tell more about myself.I have 8 years of experience in Programming and I currently reside in United States.

Since i have given my GMAT,there is some sort of depression creeping in me.

Kaplan CAT 1 : 500

Break up (V : 18 Correct , Scaled score : 24 ; Q : 19 Correct , Scaled Score : 26)

I have already worked through [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] questions.I am wondering whether i have to prepare those questions that i was not able to resolve while reviewing [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip].

I have been working on Verbal (SC & RC) .I seem to score less in RC.I wam planning to give Kaplan CAT 2 on Saturday.

Thanks for your responses .Any suggestions / recommendations are welcome.

coolsans

Here's what I would suggest for the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] (& I am not a "high scorer" and never will be). I took the test on Sept. 7 and failed it (540). Part of the reason was panic during the math section & timing.

However, I finished all of the PS in the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] AGAIN in the past two weeks & created a NEW error log. The most surprising revelation was that I missed some of the same questions from my previous error log. Of course, that implies that I didn't learn from my mistakes (concepts) from 2 months ago when I completed the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip] the first time. This was a big red flag. I also finished the first 100 DS problems this week that I already did over a month ago; same thing happened again.

Take PP1 test, and then Kaplan 2 & 3. Finally, take PP2 a week before the exam; don't take any Kaplan tests 2 weeks before the exam. It will ruin your confidence. You will score over 600. That's what I tell myself everyday!

That is so ironic. I had the GMAT this past August and made a measly 430 also...after studying the exact same materials you did for about the same amount of time you did

AND I majored in MIS (graduated dec. 02).

I also don't need an 800 (need in the 500s) so I just thought "hey, I'll study a few weeks and get my score". Yeah right. The quant kicked my butt. I panicked big time when I didn't recognize many of the question types. It was much different than what I had studied for.

I think my raw score for quant was 13 and my Verbal 33. I don't sweat the verbal b/c I know I can raise that with a little diligent studying, but the math has got me worried. The most disturbing part was that the DS questions were COMPLETELY different. I am kicking myself for not writing everything down, but at the time all I wanted to do was forget about it...and I did. I feel I need extra help in the quant areas, so if anyone has any upfront suggestions please fill me in while I will cruise the boards and see what I find. btw, this message board is ROCKS!! If only I discovered it before my little mishap...there never would've been a mishap.

That is so ironic. I had the GMAT this past August and made a measly 430 also...after studying the exact same materials you did for about the same amount of time you did

AND I majored in MIS (graduated dec. 02).

I also don't need an 800 (need in the 500s) so I just thought "hey, I'll study a few weeks and get my score". Yeah right. The quant kicked my butt. I panicked big time when I didn't recognize many of the question types. It was much different than what I had studied for.

I think my raw score for quant was 13 and my Verbal 33. I don't sweat the verbal b/c I know I can raise that with a little diligent studying, but the math has got me worried. The most disturbing part was that the DS questions were COMPLETELY different. I am kicking myself for not writing everything down, but at the time all I wanted to do was forget about it...and I did. I feel I need extra help in the quant areas, so if anyone has any upfront suggestions please fill me in while I will cruise the boards and see what I find. btw, this message board is ROCKS!! If only I discovered it before my little mishap...there never would've been a mishap.

oops! 500s I wish! I need at least a 620, but will study to get the best possible score I can in the limited amount of time I have (1 month).

I think you should give yourself more time to get up and running with Math. People taking the test are getting stronger and stronger in Math with the result that a score of 40 will put you at the 60th or so percentile. To cut at good schools you need to do much better.

If your first attempt was an honest one, that would mean a quantum jump of 27 points to reach even 40. I think you should put in some serious study time, definitely at least 10 weeks.

Pls. take this in the right spirit and strive for your full-potential score.

Thanks for the feedback! I have to have my score in by the middle of December, so I could get close to 10 weeks of studying in, but I was sortof giving myself a "cusion" just in case I did the unthinkable and bombed it again. I would still be able to take it again before my deadline, given the one month no test zone imposed by ETS. I know I know I should go at it as if this is the only time (and I am in a way), but the cusion just feels good. Should I just say screw the cusion and study longer and hope for a better score? I know it sounds logical, but if I didn't make my score in December I would be kicked out of school as fast as you can say "oops." In addition, I have 2 research papers due December 11, along with a final Dec. 9.