Urch Forums

I need to improve my score from V:26

EileenWang

I took the GMAT on Oct. 5 and got the score 26 for my verbal section.

I plan to take again next month but I need some advice about the strategy for the verbal part.

To tell the truth, I was "surprised" at the score since I got 27 when taking the test Jan. 2003. That is I do not improve my skills at all. Therefore, I think that maybe I study in the wrong way.

Could anyone give me some direction? I have gathered my broken heart and I hope that next time I will get my effort paid.

Eileen,

There are 2 things in particular that I would suggest:

1. Try to find out if you have a particular weakness in the verbal part. Is it the SC, CR or RC that gives you a problem? Do you make errors because you don't understand particular words, or do you just run out of time? Try to find what you are weak at and spend more time on correcting it.

2. This is something I have said a few times already, but I really believe that the key to doing well on the verbal section is to do the verbal questions in the [tooltip=Official Guide]OG[/tooltip], and immediately after doing each question, check the answer in the back of the section and carefully read the explaination. Read it over until you understand exactly why ETS consider the one choice right and the other 4 wrong. You need to do this in order to understand ETS' style and form of doing these questions.

This make take quite a bit of discipline, becuase it can be very dull work, particularly with the SC explainations. But you just need to force yourself to do it - it is the price you have to pay for a good GMAT score.

Good luck

Thank you, friendlydragonca!

I understand your points that I need to find my weakness and read the explanation on the O.G.

I have done part of what you said when I prepared for the test. I read the clarification on the O.G. thoroughly and I also found that my weakness should be the reading comprehansion. However, after I went through the test, I did not know which part to improve first. The biggest problem- reading comprehansion- was solved and I finally became more confident of my reading skills. So the problem should be in other two parts. Which means I prepared in the wrong way or I should review all of the questions on O.G. more carefully.

I will do some paper and pencil test this time and try to review the questions on the O.G. without getting bored (I have went through these for almost four times). Finally, I will read as many as posts on this forum. I think these posts will be a big help.

Thanks again! ;)