Urch Forums

Statement of Purpose VS Personal History Statement ???

loveandpeacejoy

:whistle::doh::(I've been working on the personal statement for several days, which is the most frequently required application document by most universities. But today I surprisingly find out that UC Berkeley is actually asking TWO such documents: Statement of Purpose VS Personal History Statement ??? After reading the direction for each one, I think that the personal statement which I have already written may be the combination of these two documents, but I'm really not sure about it.

Here's the direction for them.

Statement of Purpose

The "Statement of Purpose" is required for all applicants. Please describe your aptitude and motivation for graduate study in your area of specialization, including your preparation for this field of study, your academic plans or research interests in your chosen area of study, and your future career goals. Please be specific about why UC Berkeley would be a good intellectual fit for you.

Personal History Statement

The "Personal History Statement" is required for all applicants. In an essay, discuss how your personal background informs your decision to pursue a graduate degree. Please include any educational, familial, cultural, economic, or social experiences, challenges, or opportunities relevant to your academic journey; how you might contribute to social or cultural diversity within your chosen field; and/or how you might serve educationally underrepresented segments of society with your degree.

So my question is...aren't there going to be parts of this that overlap? Its hard to talk about why I want to go to grad school without talking about my history, and its hard to talk about my history without including relevant parts about my interest in social work.....Has anyone ever written it? Or any suggestions? Thank u!!:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...