Urch Forums

Getting into Econ PhD without Maths

Fronda

Hi I need to know if there's any programs in the US that accepts applicants with only basic formal training in math (Business Maths in my UG 1st yr B-).

I'm from a country where it's not possible to take courses from other faculty -we have a public schooling system so resources are limited. Course such as Diff Eq & Linear Algebra are reserved for only Math, Engineering & Computer Sci majors. I was able to sit in these classes throughout my Masters degree but wasn't able to register for them to get transcripts. Masters in Maths in my country is only offered via research -no coursework, so this route is out of the question. My only option is online classes but they're very expensive given the exchange rates. In other words I'm completely out of resources to get a formal transcript for the required maths.

But as I said before I attended the classes and managed to self study a lot of things for my Masters degree -studied mostly from free online classes. Managed to get an A- for IO, which was the most math intensive class I've ever taken.

I know, even if I get into a program I will surely struggle. I agree and it's something I'm willing to work hard on. Another possible feedback would be, if I get into any program, it won't be good enough to land a teaching position. True, in the US, but I'm planning to come home upon completion and teach in public schools in my country. I know it's a long shot and I know it's going to be hard. But to be honest even "bad" schools in the US are better than pursuing my PhD locally.

I will be funded by the govt but the catch is I must secure a place first. Therefore going to the US to cover math requirements beforehand isn't an option as I don't even have the funds for online classes.

My graduate GPA is 3.6 -mostly due to me struggling with the maths which I believe I'm finally getting a hang on. UG CGPA is 3.0 -I was unmotivated, got a job as an RA and tutor at a local public uni after my UG, only then did I decide to get my Masters and got serious about studying. I understand some might argue that this might not be the right path for me but I love teaching and doing research. I'm serious about trying to get in somewhere and completing the program despite the odds. I am planning to do my GRE -currently studying for it. Thanks.