Urch Forums

Some people believe that the government should impose a preferred way of life on its

Question - Some people believe that the government should impose a preferred way of life on its people , others believe that the government should leave its citizens free to choose their own value & ends.

Answer - The issue whether the government should impose a preferred way of life on its people is a contentious one . I would like to say that i agree with the author only insofar as that the government has a right & it should impose certain laws on its people for their betterment. Nevertheless , nobody has a right to impede anybody's freedom & impose anything on anyone without their wish.

Firstly , I would like to contend that in a democratic government is we the people who elect a government. We elect certain leaders as are representatives only so that our viewpoint & opinions are represented on a national level. The basic aim of a government is to provide the basic necessities of life like food , water & shelter to people. Furthermore , it has a responsibility to take care of health , education , security , law & order and public welfare. But , saying this does not mean that the government has got a right to impose its wish on people.

Secondly , Who will check how the people in the government live their lives ? What is the difference between a tyrannical rule , laden with oppression from a despot , and a democratic government ? We have some fundamental question before us which help us contend the speaker's claim. History has seen examples of Hitler & Mussolini , or in the recent past Saddam Hussain who tried to govern people through a autocratic rule & according to their personal wishes . The end result was their utter failure which led to their downfall. Moreover , the government term itself means " by the people , of the people & for the people " . The government can no doubt impose certain restrictions in the form of law to maintain order in the state so that freedom of one person may not infringe the other person's freedom. But , nothing more than that.

Thirdly , We see that in some cases of warlike conditions or economic crisis a country's government might take steps which might seem as if they impose a preferred way of life , but that also is for a fleeting period of time. Consider the recent tragedy in Japan , the nuclear mishap which took place raised concern all over the world. The government of Japan took some decisions which they felt were for the welfare of people. The country's security was at stake , lakhs of lives were affected , infact generations to come will bear effect caused by the nuclear radiations , fishing industry took a blow and the economy went through a lull. At these times , people must also , to some extent , cooperate with the government.

In conclusion , I would like to say that the proposition of imposing a certain lifestyle on people by the government would be a hyperbole. I believe that each human has some basic rights of thinking & choosing what he feels is best for him , that can't be taken away from people. On the contrary , certain extraordinary situations of calamity or warlike conditions may permit for a fleeting moment of time that the will of the government prevails.

Edited by architgarg05