Urch Forums

Help me evaluate this issue!

lacZYA

Honestly, I find the analyze the issue portion of the GRE the most difficult portion of the exam. I simply do not get it. The prompts are extremely open ended and my ability to come up with supporting material is weak. Are there any ways that can help me develop a strong stance quickly and efficiently? Also, I have so much trouble writing the introduction. any tips?

Prompt: So long as they are aware of the dangers involved, adults should not be legally bound to use seat belts.

Instruction: Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree of disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

Pre-writing

My stance: seat belts should be required even though that a given adult is aware of the dangers involved

Lay-out:

1. Seat belts should be required because driving puts the driver and their passenger at risks that are out of their control

2. Accident have occur to even the best drivers

3. Knowing the dangers does not prevent the dangers

4. Awareness can minimize risks

5. Seat belts prevent serious injury and should be required.

Car accidents have been and will continue to be the leading cause of death in the United States. And as a result, the implementation of seat belt laws are placed on society to prevent serious injury and fatalities. Many residents and politicians contested these laws because it infringes on their rights. They argue that adults who are aware of the inherent dangers associated with seats belts should not be legally bound to use them. However, they fail to realize that seat belts mitigate serious injury and obviate deaths during accidents even if a competent adult was behind the wheel. Therefore, seat belts should be required by law because motorist are susceptible to accidents that were cause by factors out of their control.

Although laws require all drivers to pass their written and operating exams, accidents do happen. Even if the driver maintained proper speeds, exhibited defensive driving skills, and followed proper protocols, they are still susceptible to accidents and serious injury. The mischance of an accident is always there and puts the driver along with his occupants in serious dangers even if proper safety practices were utilized. When accidents do happen, seat belts are a critical factor in the prevention of serious injury and deaths.

Moreover, no matter how much one is aware of the potential dangers associated with the failure to wear seat belts, it does not make them less susceptible to injuries and fatalities. A driver lowering his speed to prevent hydroplaning and alerting others through hazard lights when visibility is low are good habits, but this does not imply that others will do the same. In the same condition, another may rush and subsequently slam into him and cause serious injury. Similarly, the safety of an adult who does not wear his seat, but understands the risks, is at the mercy of the skills and driving competency of other drivers. Therefore, seat belts should be required by law to increase safety.

There are others who argue that seat belts should be left to the discretion of the adults who understand the dangers and risks involved. Indeed, those who are aware of the dangers may reduce the probability of an accident by practicing good driving habits, but they are not protected against those drivers who are inexperienced, under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and distracted drivers. In fact, good drivers are at the same risk of accidents as bad drivers and the only way to maintain safety in regards to injury is through the use of seat belts.

Because of the risks and dangers associated with driving, safety belts should be employed and required by law to not only the driver, but also to their passengers. Accidents occur even if the best driving practices are followed and seat belts may be the only means to survival. Those who have their driving abilities compromised not only put themselves in danger, not also are a threat to others. Given these circumstances, seat belts should become of high priority to anyone on the road.