Urch Forums

please critique this essay

dicapino

Educators should find out what students want included in the curriculum and then offer it to them

Although getting student feedback on their teachers, and their teaching methods is a good idea; I do not think students’ input should be considered when creating a curriculum. The reasons for these views are: first, students will want to avoid topics that are mundane to them; also, teachers are better positioned to make these decisions.

First and foremost, students will try to avoid courses they do not understand. Naïve students who feel certain courses are not necessary will see this as an opportunity to get rid of it. These courses may be pre-requisites to higher level courses, thus these students find it difficult to catch-up on such courses. For instance, if simple algebra- that is, x and y, is removed from the curriculum, students will not effectively understand calculus.

Also, teachers are better positioned to make these decisions. Educators having been adequately trained; thus, have a better understanding of the importance of each course towards the learning of a student. Teachers have an idea of what the end-result should be when these students completely go through these courses. Students who in most cases have no idea of what a particular course entails before taking it should not make these decisions. For instance, during my undergraduate studies, I only knew the importance of a course I offered a year ago when a present course makes reference to it.

Opponents against my view argue that students will be motivated to learn courses they have interest in. I believe formal education is not meant to be rosy all the time; students should be ready to make these so called boring areas interesting.

In summary, teachers have more understanding than students on what should be in the curriculum. Allowing student input will surely reduce the standard of their learning; also, such curriculum will not produce well schooled individuals.

***** untimed essay