Urch Forums

Kindly review my Issue essay. Post your essay link, I will review you back.

Educators should teach facts only after their students have studied the ideas, trends, and concepts that help

explain those facts.

The writer contends that Educators should teach facts only after the students understand the technicalities that

help explain the facts. I disagree with the contention, firstly because teaching many fields like science depend on

appealing to the inquisitive nature of the humans. Secondly, it makes more sense to state the facts which are

in other words the practical implications of the dry theoretical concepts they are about to study, so that students

are more interested in learning them.

Most subjects that we are taught where facts and the explanation of the same by ideas and concepts pertains to the sciences.

So let me explain the issue by taking examples from teaching science. If necessity is the mother of inventions, curiosity is

the mother of scientific thinking. The world is like a game of chess, with certain rules to it. We might not know the rules

but we can watch the players play the game and observe the results. Eventually, we can formulate that a pawn only moves

one step forward, or a queen can move any number of steps in any direction, a king only one move in any direction. However

we may encounter an advanced move and be forced to change our outlook. Science works the same way, that we sit and observe,

draw conclusions which are formulated by the application of logic into theories. Here we first learn

of the facts which results in the engendering of ideas. The curiosity which galvanizes a scientist to formulate an idea

should also be used to galvanize the students who learn the ideas vicariously.

"Where are we going to use it?", is the question on tongues of many students who have to learn complex ideas and concepts

which seemingly have no direct practical manifestation. We would learn effectively if we are genuinely interested in the

purpose of learning them, coz lets agree most students find studying boring. Here, if the fact which can be rephrased as

the practical implication of the idea, the student would find the application appealing and it may just serve as the impetus

to make him learn the idea more diligently. After learning the concept, a student may go back and apply the idea.

If he finds some inconsistencies he can find a new theory and help in progress of humanity, the true purpose of education.

Therefore, by the logic of arising a curiosity and interest of students in the practical implication I can conclusively

oppose the contention that Educators should teach the students facts only after they have studied the ideas, trends and

concepts.