Urch Forums

Red Alert.. Ppls Read It.. Uttermost Important

smraj.kss

GUYS,

THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT MATTER. I WANT LET TO KNOW EVERYBODY IN THIS FORUM SO THAT NO ONE WILL FACE THE SITUATION THAT I AM FACING NOW. PLS READ IT CAREFULY TILL THE END.

I AM FROM INDIA.I WROTE MY GRE 2 WEEKS BEFORE. ACTUALLY I BOOKED THRU INDIAN MAIN CENTRE ( NOIDA) ON APRIL 12TH. FIVE MINUTES AFTER I CALLED THE CENTRE I GOT A CONFIRMATION MAIL FROM GRE MAIN CENTRE ALSO( emailconfirmations@thomson.com).MY GRE SCHUDULED ON MAY 3RD.

ON MAY 2ND EVENING I GOT A MAIL FROM ETS.inc Services infotoets@lycos.comSAYING THAT MY THERE IS A CONFUSION IN THE CREDIT CARD WHICH I USED IT FROM BOOKING, AND THEY ASKED TO SEND ME THE FOLLOWING DETAILS FOR THE CREDIT CARD.

1. credit card no

2. card holder name

3. security pin no

4. credit card expiry date

ALSO THEY TOLD ME THAT IF I FAILED TO GIVE TO GIVE THE INFORMATION, I WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO WRITE THE EXAM. SINCE I GOT THE MAIL ON 2ND EVENING AS I HAVE THE EXAM ON 3RD MORNING, I WAS IN A HURRY .SO I GAVE THE CREDIT CARD DETAILS AGAIN.

IN THAT NIGHT ITSELF I GOT A MAIL FROM THE SAME MAIL ID SAYING THAT, " WE COULDNT DEBIT THE AMOUNT FROM THE CREDIT CARD THRU OUR AUTOMATIC PROCESSOR, SO GIVE THE ALTERNATIVE MAIL ID. FAILING TO GIVE THE DETAILS WILL CANCEL YOUR EXAM". I WAS VERY MUCH TENSED AND CONFUSED AND GOT ANOTHER CREDIT CARD DETAILS AND MAILED THEM. I HAVE BEEN ADVICED NOT TO REVEAL THE DETAILS ABT THE CREDIT CARD THRU THE MAIL, BUT AS I WAS VERY MUCH TENSED I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO IN THAT SHORT TIME. SO I SEND THE DETAILS.

I ALSO CALLED ETS CUSTOMER CARE SERVICES (001-609-771-7670) THAT NIGHT. BUT THEY TOLD THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY CARD. BUT SINCE I GOT THE MAIL I WS EXPECTING MAIL FROM THEM. I MAILED THEM WHAT I SPOKE TO ETS CUSTOMER CARE SERVICES.

AT NIGHT 11 O CLOCK AGAIN I GOT THE MAIL FROM THE inc.Prometric Services MAIL ID SAYIN THAT " WHAT YOU GOT THE INFORMATION FROM ETS CUSTOMER CARE IS RIGHT. SINCE WE HAD TO DEBIT THE CARD TWICE, WE HAD TO PUT ADDITIONAL PENALTY OF $1.95 FROM YOUR ACCOUNT. AND ALSO SINCE WE HAD TO CONFIRM THE CREDIT CARD IS BELONG TO YOURS, WE HAD DONE AROUND 7-8 TRANSACTIONS THRU OUR AUTOMATIC PROCESSOR. SO U NEED TO GIVE US THE FOUR DIGIT CODE FROM THE DEBITTED PAYMENT FOR THE $ 1.95 TRANSACTION (this code we can get it from the bank across the particular amount) AND YOU HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO WRITE THE EXAM ON SCHUDULED DATE".

AFTER I WROTE THE EXAM , I GOT THE FOUR DIGIT CODE FROM THE BANK I MAILED TO THEM. THE AUTOMATIC TRANSACTIONS WERE WENT UPTO RS.11000. ( 250 USD. APPROX)

BUT I GAVE ALL INFORMATIONS, STILL I GOT THE INFORMATION FROM THE BANK SAYING LOT OF TRANSACTIONS HAD BEEN DONE TO THE SAME ACCOUNT( AMOUNTING TO RS.17000). THEN I FELT VERY CONFUSED AND CALLED ETS CUSTOMER CARE SERVICES AGAIN. THEN ONLY I GOT TEH CONFIRMATION FROM THEM THAT IT IS NOT AT ALL THEIR MAIL ID.

TOTALLY I HAVE LOST AROUND RS.28000 (625 USD APPROX).

NOW I AM RUNNING BETWEEN THE BANK AND THE CYBER CRIME OFFICIALS.

SO PLS GUYS DO NOT REVEAL YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS TO ANYBODY THRU MAIL.

I had to apply for rescheduling the test date and i think the LYCOS guys have hacked into the secure channels of ETS, for they came to know my secondary mail ID.

I got a mail from infotoets@lycos.com and they told me about the $140 not being deducted from my credit card. They sounded totally authentic and even included links to the official website. Thinking that something was wrong, I mailed both ContactETS@ets.org and these guys my credit card details.

It was then that i realised that i'd paid the $140 more than 2 months back. I called up the credit card company and they said that the fees had been paid up immediately 1 week after registering.

Instantly I told them to hotlist the card. Around 8 pm that same evening, I got a call from a number listed as +401 on my cell, and the chap said that my card was blocked. I told him firmly that all my fees had been paid up and i'd blocked the card myself.

He asked me for the $1.95 verification fees. In turn, I said I wouldn't take out a single penny until I got an official mail. The next day i recieved a comnfirmation from ETS saying that INFOTOETS@LYCOS.COM WAS A PHISHING WEBSITE.

Please take a note. ETS DOES NOT CONTACT ANYONE FOR FINANICAL/CREDIT INFORMATION VIA EMAIL. THEY ALSO HAVE A SEPARATE MAIL SERVER BY THE NAME OF ____@ETS.ORG , SO PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO ANY OTHER MAILS OTHER THAN THESE.

BE CAREFUL OF HANDING OUT YOUR CREDIT INFORMATION. WHEN THE LYCOS GUY CALLED ME, HE SEEMED A PROFESSIONAL. I'M PRETTY SURE HE'S DONE THIS MANY TIMES.

It happened to me too. Got the same email from lycos.com. And I havnt even registered for the test. Guess the lycos guy didnt do his homework properly. So, I mailed them back and got an answer stating that the email was generated by an automated software or somethingand that I shouldnt be bothered.

Wonder from where these guys got my mailID.

The emails did look official.