Urch Forums

any Iphone/Ipod Touch apps on GRE?

monkeydluffy

There's a free one from boostacademics but it is very limited. I believe the full version is $4.99. Also Kaplan has one for $4.99. I've seen some others who run between $0.99 and $9.99.

I haven't tried any paid apps yet, but if I did, I would use the kaplan one. It's only for vocabulary. Also I would advise you to download the free dictionary app and use it as often as possible.

I went on a bit of a test prep iphone app frenzy and downloaded a bunch of apps, but the ones I've kept are the following:

- GRE Express

- Kaplan

- Veritas Prep (GMAT)

Of these three I think Veritas Prep is the best, but not quite on the mark as it covers GMAT question types instead of GRE ones, and GRE Express is the worst. What's really missing is a test prep app that includes intelligible questions that accurately reflect GRE section types. The creators behind GRE Express had the right idea but need work on the execution.

Here's a quick sum-up of the programmes I've got.

1. GRE Express ($9.99)

This one has two sections - one on the GRE itself (the type of info you find on the ETS site), and the other a series of quiz questions.

- Sections include: problem solving, quantitative comparison, antonyms, analogies, sentence completion, reading comprehension, and writing

- Answers are at times insufficient, at other times, baffling, and others still, downright contestable

- Layout is confusing at times so you spend more time trying to figure out the question than answering it

- Navigation is another stumbling block - getting to and from different sections is a pain

2. Kaplan ($4.99)

As howard_two has already mentioned, the Kaplan one is only on vocab, but it is pretty good for that.

Highlights

- 501 words (but a fraction of Barron's full list)

- Grouped into Level 1, 2 and 3 words

- Flashcard options include multiple choice and reverse Q&A

- Flashcards show word type and pronunciation and can also show score card

3. Veritas Prep (FREE)

As mentioned, I like this one the best even though it's for GMAT not GRE. The only problem is that the practice section is pretty skimpy.

Highlights

- Both practice and test sections have 185 questions in total

- Breakdown for both sections: data sufficiency (23), problem solving (58), critical reasoning (30), reading comp (33), and sentence completion (41)

- Question groupings: Easy, Medium, Hard

- All questions are timed

- Very intuitive interface

- Includes stats

I haven't yet done enough of these questions to know if the practice questions and the test questions are pulled from the same pool.

Hope this helps!