Urch Forums

Effective writing

vicky55

hi:hmm:

Thanx for the early reply,please tell me how i can develop effective graph(whether always comparison is required to score marks,wen their is two or more graphs ,if i just write them separately without comparison whether i will loose marks for that)

In writing thesis for essays is it good to copy from essay,how many paragraph should i write in essays.

There is often more than one graphs in task 1, so you have to get familiar with comparing and contrasting ideas in the two (most of the time) or more (sometime) graphs. A couple of paragraphs is enough for task 1, I was also advised it is unnecessary to write conclusion paragraph.

Task 2 is more challenging and you should do it fist. Consequence of not finishing task 2 is double serious than the same problem with task 1 for the reason that task 2 is counted two times valuable than task 1 in term of mark. So take the task 2 first. Although, it is also not too bad copping a sample one, you should rephrases it somehow. As far as I know, you can structure your essay in from 3 to 5 paragraphs, one for introducing, one for conclusion and the others are for supporting ideas in body paragraphs.

Hope this help and good luck!

Hi Vicky!

For Task 1, you do not need to compare if you want a 6.0 or lower. However, examiners seem to be reluctant to give higher scores (7.0+) for students who don't (can't) compare. This is because comparison takes a higher level of English to achieve.

For Task 1 and Task 2, do not copy the question/statement. As Bankrip said, use the vocabulary, but rephrase the statement. Again, it will be hard for examiners to give you a higher score if you can not do this.

I hope this helps.

Mike

ielts2u - an IELTS writing help site