Urch Forums

What should be the scores for the one who would like to pursue Econ PhD?

chor_eh

First of all, I'm new here. I just finished registering 2 minutes ago so if I am in the wrong forum, please let me know.

I'm going to take this exam on June 7 to applying for Econ PhD. I think 90% of the topics here are 800-800-5.5, 650-800-5.0, 750-790-5.5 or something like that, which is beyond my ability to do so as an international student. I know that the higher score, the better chance that I would get into some great schools.

Could anyone please tell me what the average score for verbal parts for international students? By the way, I am not the native English speaker.

I am sorry to post this kind of stupid questions in this forum..... but most of the forum here irritating me somehow. :( :( :(

Thank you in advance for every answer.

chor_eh

the median V in general must be around 480-490, the median V in Econ PhD around 500-520, the median score of internationals in top5 econ phds around 650, the median score of internationals in all top20 schools around 550 (but with great variance as there are people with nearly 700 and others with low 400s), the median score of native speakers in top 5 around 700+.

For Q the median score in top10 Econ PhD is 800, i.e. half of the admitted get a perfect score.

Best of Luck

disclaimer: the median scores are my estimation only :)

p.s. there are internationals that manage to score in the 90s in the V part. Some have managed a score in the 700s (dingus, gforce et al). I find them iritating as well :p but that's the people you''ll have to compete with!

p.s.2. if you have a strong gpa and a nearly perfect Q-GRE, then not scoring high in V isn't that much of a problem, eps. if you are an international. Focus on Q and just try not to mess up your V (

Thank you for your advice, Econ. I really appreciate it.

I know that I can compete with neither the native English speaker nor the non-native ones with supreme quality of English vocabulary. Don't mean to look down on myself but I guess where my limit is and I have to admit that. T-T

Cheers,

I say focus on the quantitative part and think a little bit the essays as well and if you take 800 in the real GRE (having sai that, I also think during the real test you should give a serious shot the Verbal part). Then with a Q800 in hand you might consider retaking it for the sake of the Verbal part. Otherwise you might be jeoparding getting e.g. Verbal 550, Q750, A4.0 which I consider not so good as Q800 V400 A5.0 :)
  • Like 1