Urch Forums

Confused between TOEFL and IELTS

j1995

Hello guys,

I took the IELTS test before 3 months ago and I took the TOEFL test last week.

In the IELTS test, I think I did very well because I scored 6.0 overall without any preparation before taking the test. But I think what I've struggled in is the reading section, perhaps because I wasn't used to read an article with 600 words. The listening section was the highest among other sections, it was a peace of cake, my sub-score in this section is 7,5. The writing was tough for me because it's the first time for me to write an essay in English, and I didn't know any methods for the writing section. And finally the speaking section, I was so nervous and I didn't prepare for it, but I think it's fine for the first time.

My scores in the IELTS:

L: 7.5

R: 5.5

S: 5.0

W: 5.0

In the TOEFL test, I prepared for a week, and I was aiming for 80 and above to enroll at a university. the test center was horrible, it wasn't well-organized, they use laptops for the test, and the laptop is very old!! I assume that it's from the 90s, anyways, I started first with the reading section, and unfortunately I got an experimental passages, and I was really concerned about it. After I finished, I started with the listening section and I had a headache because of reading the long passages and I didn't concentrate in this section. After the listening I took a break for 10 minutes. After the break I felt that I can concentrate now and I did great in both sections (Speaking and Listening).

My scores in the TOEFL:

L: 8

R: 11

S: 19

W: 20

I think the reason why I got 8 in the listening section and 11 in the reading is because I was nervous. But I can read and listen very well :livid: the IELTS score proves it :playful:

My question is which test do you suggest for me to retake? IELTS or TOEFL?

I think I could improve my skills during this month, and if you could give me some tips to improve my weak points I would appreciate it.:distracted:

Please I need your help guys, because I have to prepare for it from now.

Thanks a lot in advance. :distracted:

Edited by j1995