Urch Forums

Low AWA - Advice Me

pantherphil

Hi All,

This is my dilemma- I have a good GMAT score but my AWA score is very poor. - 710 (Q-51, V-35 AWA 3.5). My GPA is 3.15 and I will have 5 years of relevant work experience by the time I am ready for MBA schools. I am aiming at the top 10 schools but with such a low AWA score I suspect I will not stand a chance at many of the top schools.

What are my chances with a low AWA and verbal score?

What do you suggest I should do? Re-Taking the GMAT is something I am not very keen on doing but I will if I have to.

Do the top schools average the AWA score or do they take the best score?

I am personally frustrated by my effort at AWA. I want to improve my performance but is it too late for corrective action? If the schools average all the scores I will have to take and do well in the GMAT many times in order to improve the overall score. [b)]

I will look forward to honest and encouraging responses from all of you, especially David.

Thanks

Pantherphil

[b)]

Hi Pantherphil,

3.5 is bad, but not HORRIBLE. And 710 is pretty solid... although your Q/V split isn't very even. If you're a native English speaker, or a liberal art major who got an A in say creative writing during undergrad, you have nothing to worry about. Otherwise, given that this is only May, retaking isn't a bad idea.

Most schools DON'T average score (and frankly I don't know that anyone does). They look at the one you report on your apps.

If you really don't feel like retaking (and I TOTALLY understand), make sure that

- You really, really, REALLY NAIL your essays. Don't over kill the vocab and the register so that Adcom would suspect someone else wrote it. But revise, rewrite, revise, and rewrite.

- Have your rec highlight your (English) communication skills, both spoken and written.

- Taking a writing class in the summer, and getting an A, is a great corrective action. The benefit is threefolds:1) The class will help you get into "writing" mode and improve your writing for b-school essays. 2) Good grade will reassure Adcom who wouldn't have to worry 'bout your communication skills; 3) most importantly, it shows initiative - you realize your weakness and act upon it. Bschools love these things.

All the best.