Urch Forums

Information about Pharmaceutical Education the USA

SarahWalt

Hello, I am interested in knowing about the pharmacy education system in the USA ( I am a 5th year student at the University of Medicine and Pharmacy Carol Davila- Faculty of Pharmacy, Bucharest-Romania). I would appreciate any information regarding this topic. After you finish high school how do you enroll to college? what exams do you have to take? how many students are accepted each year? what do the School of Pharmacy and the PharmD program stand for? when you enter university ,how is the year divided , what about the curriculum (main subjects, optional subjects how many hours and what is the grading system). In my country, Romania when you finish high school you have to pass the baccalaureate exam first ( which consists of subjects you learned during high school ). After taking the Baccalaureate Diploma you are able to apply to the college you want, in my case Pharmacy. To enter the Pharmacy College you have to take an admission exam, that consists of 100 questions which are divided in 60 questions of organic chemistry and 40 question of botany or anatomy (at your choice). The first 150 students enter under the state budget (so they do not pay any taxes) and the last 50 pay a tax of 1000 euro/year. The college of pharmacy lasts for 5 years with 9 semesters and the 10th consists of practicing in a community pharmacy. Our grading system is based on the ECTS credits. It would really help me if you could provide me those information, since i didn't find anything precise and organised on the internet. Or if you could direct me to an official page that gives me the basic information ( for Europe there is this official site Pharmine that gives you materials you need to know about pharmaceutical education in any European Countries).Thank you Edited by SarahWalt