Urch Forums

program selection (Finance)

hedgequant

I have a multi-factor spreadsheet for the schools to which I will be applying, and I wanted to see if I was missing any programs (Finance). For brevity, know that I need to look at programs in the following general geographic areas:

Seattle

Oregon

Northern California

Washington DC

Texas

Boston

NYC

This is good and bad in that some of the best programs are in these areas, but also that many are the most difficult. Realizing that some schools are a better fit than others, I just want to make sure I haven't overlooked any reasonably reputable programs. My current list of schools is:

Definitely applying: Washington, Oregon, Berkeley, U Texas, Texas A&M, Rice, Houston, UT Dallas, Boston College, CUNY-Baruch, Maryland

Debating/consulting rec writers if it's worth a shot: Stanford, MIT, NYU, Columbia

I don't have the math background for Boston U's specialized mathematical finance program, although I am auditing a PhD probability course this summer, and hope to have the prof as one of my rec writers.

Have I missed anything?

First, I just want to say that if you feel like Stanford, MIT, NYU and Columbia are good fits for you, I would definitely submit applications. The marginal cost is small and you just never know when it comes to admissions committees. Plus, I believe that I have seen your profile and it seems very solid (and getting stronger).

The only program that I see missing is GWU. And I have to admit that I know nothing about the program in terms of quality, productivity of the faculty, placements, etc. especially when it comes to Finance. But, I do know a Ph.D. student at my current school that got his master's in finance from GW and would be happy to chat with him about the program if you want.

Good luck! I am cheering for you as I am in a similar situation in that I am limited to certain geographical areas. I'll be applying this fall (I imagine you will be as well?), so feel free to PM if you have any questions, or just want to chat or anything like that.