Urch Forums

Side job?

phd2017

Hi all,

I just finished my apps and was wondering if it is possible to keep a side job while in a business PhD program. First, do any programs officially allow their students to work outside their GA duties? Second, even if you were allowed to work a second job, would there be any time for it? Say if it was a position that could be worked in the evenings around 15-20 hours a week and was very flexible, could work any time, etc. Thank you for your input!

Most schools will explicitly forbid it. Even if the school didn't forbid it, it would be unwise. An additional workload of 20 hours would cut into time that could be spent researching or doing classwork. Honestly I would advise against it, but I understand that sometimes the money would be really nice to have.

That being said, is it possible? Yes. But your program will take longer and the missed money that you will have by staying in the program for a year or two extra is a whole lot more than you'll make at a side job.

I would strongly discourage it. As XArus said, most schools will specifically forbid it in accepting the funding package they offer you upon admission.

In addition, even if it isn't forbidden by the school, if you are in a decent PhD program and any of the faculty find out you are working a job on the side, they'll view it negatively. The long run effects of not having a good rapport with your program's faculty isn't worth it.