Urch Forums

New Guy Needs Advice

tbroker

Hello

I am a senior at a realtively known, but small, liberal arts college. I am both a Finance and a History major here, history because I like it a lot. My overall GPA is ~3.8 and it is a ~3.75 in Finance and ~3.95 in history. My finance GPA would be a lot higher if I did not receieve a C first semester freshman year in a class which I did not get along with the professor in. Anyway I do not have much of a Math background I have taken Statistics and CalcI-III earning an A or A- in each. I have accepted an investment banking analyst job in NYC for the next 3 years, and even though I will be making near $100,000 a year my dream is to do research and teach at a top university. Along with the dream I want to go to a top PhD in Finance program, where I can learn a lot and also get good placement upon graduation. I know my profile is weak, however, I did get a 770 on my GMAT. But I need to improve certain things. I will have good recommendations because I am close with my professors but what should I do in the next 36 months for me to get into a top program. Also, I realize that it might take 4-5 years of prep it would be ideal to do it in 3. Thanks

Honestly; if you took Linear Algebra (at some schools this is split into two classes, make sure it at least goes through eigenvalues, svd analysis, etc), Real Analysis, and depending on how high a level your stats class is, a Math Stats course, you'd have the minimum background to enter a lot of good programs.

In other words, if you can do Linear Algebra, Analysis, and Stat at an advanced undergrad level you'll be able to handle the math. There may be a little bit of catch-up involved, but you won't be dramatically far behind. If you want to do time-series you'll need some Stoch Calc background but one can often catch up on that during the first year core.

I agree with shooter. In addition, you have some good resources in NYC (NYU, Columbia) for math/finance. If you pick up a master's in related field (math, stats, mathematical finance) that'd help. Perhaps you can see if an NYU/Columbia finance prof is willing to take you on to do some RA work. Impressing one of these guys would be extremely useful to getting into a top program.