Urch Forums

Michigan MAE (unfunded) vs Northeastern MA (stipend)

SCarterGW

Hi,

So after 12 applications (10 acceptances, but rejected by Duke and NYU), my decision boils down to:

Michigan MA in Applied Econ (1.5 years at 36k/year) or

Northeastern MA in Econ (1.5 years with a TA and stipend)

Michigan's reputation certainly has the edge on Northeastern, but finances aside, Northeastern has a Co-op program that is pretty intriguing. It seems that in years past, some of their MA students have worked 3-6 months at various research and govt organizations, including the Fed.

I don't intend to go for PhD after the MA, but rather to work at a research institution or teach intro econ at a technical or community college. Can anyone weigh in with any advice that could me with my decision?

Thanks very much!

These programs are very different.

Michigan is certainly the better program with the MUCH better reputation. You should ask Michigan for a sample of where their student tend to place after the MA. Northeastern does have the reputation for having a lot of students do decent co-op/internships, however they aren't well respected in the Econ world. I imagine the MA at Michigan would tend to carry more weight.

SCarterGW,

I actually did my MA at Northeastern so I may have some advice. The program is pretty good. Very applied, so if you are interested in working in consulting or Government then Id say it’s a good choice. NEU may not have the best reputation, but I think its still a great school (plus Boston is awesome!). I was able to get a good job after the program in consulting and I work with people that did their graduate work at schools such as Penn, Yale, Harvard and BU, so I don’t think people will look down on the program and its graduates. As for the Co-op program, a word of advice; The UG co-op is great, but at the grad level it’s really left up to the student to find a co-op or summer work. Other then that I think NEU was great school and I enjoyed my time there, plus it’s a bonus that they offer funding to MA students, something that a lot of other programs don’t do. If you have any other questions about Northeastern you can PM me.

Best of Luck

These programs are very different.

Michigan is certainly the better program with the MUCH better reputation. You should ask Michigan for a sample of where their student tend to place after the MA. Northeastern does have the reputation for having a lot of students do decent co-op/internships, however they aren't well respected in the Econ world. I imagine the MA at Michigan would tend to carry more weight.

Has anyone called the MAE program for a list of student placements? I was offered admission without funding to UM MAE program and full-tuition plus stipend at a nearby University.

I visited NEU because they were the first to offer me funding (PhD).

NEU confirmed my understanding that the program is currently configured to place students in good, but non-academic, positions. The program is still rebuilding after a hiring freeze in the late 90's that coincided with four tenured and tenure-track professors departing, and forced them to halt all PhD admissions. Only one student has completed the Ph.D. since they started offering this again in 2003, and she found a job consulting; two other students, both on the job market this and currently preparing to defend their dissertations, have not yet been placed. (I don't know when offers usually roll in, but I took this as non-good news.)

Their long-term department-building plan makes a lot of sense, and the university itself has a very good name, but they currently only offer specialties in I/O and labor, which do not speak to me. Maybe I would make a different decision in 10 years?

I wonder if any of this is useful for a MA student?