Urch Forums

Washington University at St Louis New Students

donovanmcnair

Hi!

To anyone attending Washington University at St Louis, it would be nice to make a place here where we could share information and know each other a little. At least until the university introduce us by mail.

For the moment, I know that the first day of classes is officialy aug 31st, but we have to be there on august 1st since we have the math camp starting on august 2.

In a couple of days they will send us information about the housing.

hey donovan -- i won't be at wustl this fall. for you and for everyone else headed to wustl, here are some things you might want to consider:

Places to live: Central West End, U-City, or Clayton. Clayton is probably the most expensive, followed by the CWE. CWE is also where WUSTL's med school is, so I'd say the average age is a few years older than the student areas near the main (Danforth) campus. I live near the Loop; it's a fun area. WUSTL itself manages a huge selection of housing through its housing management agency, Quandrangle Housing: offcampushousing.wustl.edu.

Get a car: St. Louis has the MetroLink, which can take you from the CWE, Clayton, or UCity to the airport, the mall (St. Louis Galleria), and sporting events downtown. It really doesn't have the connectivity like Chicago's L or NYC's Subway system. I would invest in a cheap car; it makes living in St. Louis bearable.

Have fun though; STL is great for that. Washington Avenue, Laclede's Landing, and Clayton are fun at night. Laclede's Landing is usually overrun by SLU and WUSTL undergrads on Thursdays and Fridays though.

Thanks for the data, stl_finance!!! I know I won't get financialy for the car, but a bicycle will be a great investment.

About Quadrangle, I can't find this in it's page: are all the apt. furnished?

No problem; I know moving here can be a tad daunting. Bikes are good too. You can basically get around everywhere with a bike, except for the grocery store. There are buses that can take you there.

For Quadrangle, their apartments are not furnished....BUT you're in luck. I will be selling most, if not all, my furniture over the next few months as I move to Ithaca (I don't want to drive a u-haul to the east coast). PM if you're interested and we can try to set something up.