Urch Forums

What are my chances? How can I improve?

kapbas

Hi folks,

I have been lurking around for a month and learnt a lot. I need some feedback on where I stand and what my plans should be.

I am an international sophomore(rising junior) with Econ and Math double major at a relatively unknown small LAC in New Jersey. I was a math major first and decided to major in Econ only after my freshman year. After 2 years of college I am almost sure that I want to go to grad school for economics. I should have a good GRE score. I have 4.0 GPA in math and few economics classes I have taken so far. I will have taken most math and econ classes (including some graduate level classes) offered by my school by the time I graduate.

Here are my major concerns: I have no research experience so far but I am starting a Math TA next fall and writing a senior thesis. Being in a small LAC and none of my professors coming from really good schools, I am not expecting stellar LORs. I know these are major factors in admission. But do you think that I stand a chance in top 30 schools or am I dreaming too big? What can I do in these remaining 2 years to improve my chances?

1) Get the biggest names amongst those you have. Also,make sure they sell you like cheesecake ^_^ i'm from a SE Asian school that is pretty unknown too.

2) The senior thesis can be a credible signal of research potential, so try your best to do a good job. :)

I think having famous letter-writers becomes more important the higher up you aim; outside the top 10 glowing letters from lesser-known economists will serve you well. *The previous statement is based on my own personal experience, take it with a grain of salt.

Endeavor to do all the things you see touted here that are feasible (hard math, maybe RA work, a strong thesis), don't sweat it about the stuff that's just not possible for you. If you excel in the things that are within your reach, then I see no reason why having less-than-famous LORs or coming from a small LAC will keep you out of the top 30.