Intermediate Macro

Financial Accounting

Introductory Econometrics

Empirical Finance

Money and Banking

Game Theory

Theory of Financial Markets

Behavioral Finance

Along with these, I'm planning to take about 6 - 8 graduate level courses.

Here's the list of all undergrad courses. Are there any other courses you'd recommend?

Thanks for your help.

Courses — The Department of Economics at U.Va.

If you're doing half a dozen grad-level courses, I'm not sure UG courses matter (except as preparation for your grad-level work). The former are more important, and it would be more useful for us to know which ones you plan on doing than knowing the list of UG courses. Also, you haven't said what you'd like them to be "enough" for, which sort of renders your question moot.

6-8 graduate courses essentially constitute a near-full year of graduate-level coursework, so provided you do the standard theory sequence (micro, metrics, macro, in order of descending importance) you will have the equivalent of a year of PhD. Just make sure you can handle it. Also don't forget to get the proper math preparation.

P.S. Financial accounting is definitely, 100% redundant unless required by your major (though personally I do find it marginally useful for applied financial metrics).

Guest _nanashi

No one really cares about what econ courses you take, just that you have the basics, and some breadth.

These are your basics.

Principles of Micro

Principles of Macro

Mathematical Microeconomics

Intermediate Microeconomics

Intermediate Macro

Introductory Econometrics

Game Theory

Economic Forecasting (Time Series)

Distinguished Majors Seminar (Thesis)

2-4 Electives of your choice.

Calculus I

Calculus II

Calculus III (Honors if you can stomach)

Transition to Higher Mathematics

Elementary Linear Algebra

Intro to Probability

Basic Real Analysis

Recommended

Stochastic Processes

Math Statistics

Differential Equations

That is if your 100% determined for an econ PhD. You realize that if you haven't even started your undergrad your going to give up oppurtunity to explore some going this route this early.

Also. Don't be so full of yourself. Get to your 4th year see what you've done then figure out if you want to take PhD courses or not, see if you how many grad courses you can take then. Don't worry about it now. I have a close friends that did go UVA for PhD. They are a top 30 program, and their work load is heavy. To say you'll be able to take 6 to 8 and you haven't even take a single class is a very bold statement to make. Not to mention that many departments you will need your professors permissions and they may not allow it unless you have the grades to back it up.

Field courses are helpful to determine your research interests, but not generally great signals for the admissions process. After the intermediates, take what you want. If you're doing grad work and a lot of math, then you might benefit from dropping a couple of those, but it's totally up to you.

I kind of agree with Nanashi and Elliphant about you thinking a little too hard about this. However, I'm all for having a plan that's this complex, so long as you realize that you can change if you decide this isn't for you. And seriously question whether you want to do this every time you enroll for another semester. Maybe come up with some alternate plans, just in case.

Some people have a plan that's this complex, go through with it, and their results can be quite good. I suspect slightlyconfused1 did the same thing.

Guest _nanashi
Well my goal is to get into a top 15 program and financial accounting is required for my concentration (financial economics) although it's not required for the econ major.

My issue is more of a cross that bridge as you get there. As for getting to a top 15 program just focusing on doing well in your undergrad math and econ classes and getting good GRE, writing a thesis, getting solid letters would be enough to break top 15 from UVA. If you can take one or two PhD courses, then great. It will strengthen your program. Saying your going to take 6 is telling us you plan on taking the entire first year PhD core, before leaving is unrealistic. C Especially considering you haven't even taken principles course, or I'm wondering even calculus.

Also. Don't be so full of yourself. Get to your 4th year see what you've done then figure out if you want to take PhD courses or not, see if you how many grad courses you can take then. Don't worry about it now. I have a close friends that did go UVA for PhD. They are a top 30 program, and their work load is heavy. To say you'll be able to take 6 to 8 and you haven't even take a single class is a very bold statement to make. Not to mention that many departments you will need your professors permissions and they may not allow it unless you have the grades to back it up.

It's entirely possible that the OP is brilliant and has a strong work ethic, and therefore wants to plan for his/her best-case scenario. I think it's important to push one's envelope and take on risks and challenges as part of one's development. However, I agree that it is unwise at best to bet on a successful outcome with so little information, ex ante, about the OP's ability to handle this stuff. An AP calculus course in high school is a far cry from PhD micro. I'm all for dreaming big. Just make sure you stay grounded and have a contingency plan.

• Like 1

Guest _nanashi
entirely possible that the OP is brilliant and has a strong work ethic, and therefore wants to plan for his/her best-case scenario.

I would imagine UVA's PhD students are highly intelligent, and have a strong work ethic. From what I've been told its not uncommon for their first year students to put in 75-80 hours a week (counting t.a. duties). Not to mention you often do need permission to take grad level courses. Its not just something you can "plan". A good chunk of them have A's in courses I've listed.

I think it's important to push one's envelope and take on risks and challenges as part of one's development

I don't doubt it.