Urch Forums

What to do to get into econ dev?

lund

Hi,

I'm really interested in eventually studying economic development (not sure if this would be at a Masters or PHD level yet).

I'm just wondering what the best "path" to getting into a good dev program would be. I have read enough to know that in general, getting into a top school requires good grades, lots of math, a good GRE score &/or good LoRs. However, I was wondering if there was anything in particular that I should also do (ie. volunteer abroad) if I want to get involved in development?

This question is particularly pertinent because I'm trying to figure out if it would be better for me to volunteer/intern abroad (ie. in Africa, SE Asia- I'm really interested in microloans so I would love to intern with a related organization) or perform research at my university (may or may not be in a related field, but then I could have research experience)... or maybe do something entirely different.

I'm also thinking that if I decide to pursue a PHD, it might be best for me to do research, whereas if I opt for a econ development masters program it would be better for me to volunteer/intern abroad?

Any advice is appreciated. Please & thanks :)

Guest buzios

I think stuff like that (studying or volunteering in developing countries) may help with perspective and give you a valuable experience. It may also help inform some of the areas of research you're looking at by giving you some real-world experience. But I don't think this will necessarily significantly help with applications ( at least not more than additional research experience will).

This isn't medical school, where you need to justify your future study by demonstrating a genuine interest in volunteering activities.

I'd vote for research regardless. Primarily because it'll give you an idea whether you want to pursue a PHD or not (which you don't appear to be sure of atm). In addition, I think it'll give you access to academic LORs that would be hard to come by through the other route, and which will help for both masters and PHD applications.