Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation 2014

Poisson92

Hey guys! I am curious to see other peoples' opinions on my chances of getting into a PhD program that is ranked between 40-75 and the programs that I am currently applying to. I am also seeking some insight into the impact that poor grades in LA2 and ODE will have on my chances of gaining admittance to the programs I described earlier.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: top 100 US public University/ top 50 economics

Undergrad GPA: 3.57 overall / 3.81 Economics/ 3.58 Mathematics

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: 163Q/ 153V

Math Courses: Calc I-III (A, A, A), Linear Algebra I-II (B+,C+), Bridge To Abstract Math (A), Introduction to Probability (A), ODE (B-),

Econ Courses (grad-level):N/A

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Int. Micro (A), Int Macro (A-), Econometrics (B+), Int. Trade (A), Game Theory (A), Fin. Markets (A), Econ. Analysis(A), Exp. Econ (B+), Math Econ (A),

Other Courses: Programming (B)

Letters of Recommendation: Should be pretty good, all know me quite well and all attended top 25 programs

Research Experience:N/A

Teaching Experience: Some insignificant tutoring

Research Interests: Labor, Applied Micro, IO

SOP: Standard SOP, listed research interests and why I fit in program

Concerns: No real analysis, B's in linear, ODE and Econometrics, no research experience

Other: My GPA is weighed down by a couple of B's I got in irrelevant courses ( Philosophy, Speech) and a C in chemistry so I think that, assuming the adcoms discount those courses from my GPA, my true GPA is a bit higher.

Applying to: Kentucky, Rutgers, South Carolina, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Northeastern

Thanks

In your current state of affairs the top 50 is clearly out of reach. Notre Dame is also a lot more selective than their ranking indicates (they're in a re-building phase and want promising students) so I suggest you drop it from your list. Rutgers is a bit of a stretch for you as well. I suggest you add more schools below the T50 range to account for the variance in the admissions process.