Urch Forums

Which math courses should I take?

jbulka22

I'm in need of some advice on what two math courses I should take in my final semester of undergrad. Specifically, I'd like to know what courses will help me in the fields of Macroeconomics, Finance, and Econometrics (my research interests are still relatively broad at this point).

Already taken: Calc 3, Discrete Math, Diff Eq, Real Analysis I (1st half of Rudin's book)

Taking in Fall: Linear Algebra, Probability

Options for Spring: Real Analysis II (2nd half of Rudin's book), Mathematical Statistics, Numerical Analysis, Topology, Modern Algebra, Complex Analysis, Modern Algebra, 2nd Course in Diff Eq's

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

LA and Probability are both gonna be very important for Econometrics. For macro, you'll need some LA, some RA, and Diff Eq's. For Finance, although I don't see it among your options but Stochastic Calculus would be a good idea.

Based on your options, I'd say you're already gonna be mostly prepared without taking any of them. Perhaps take Math Stats, that can help with Econometrics I presume. Other than that, I don't exactly know what is covered in your 2nd Diff Eq's course, but that may be useful. The rest would only be beneficial for signaling in my opinion. Only take them if you really like abstract math. If not, just concentrate on perhaps getting some research experience. Because I think with your Fall courses (+ Math Stat perhaps), you will definitely have enough math even for a top 10.