Urch Forums

BGSE Vs SSE

Mystis

Hello my dear board and fellow future Doctors,

As it seems, we share common views and goals here , so after my Bachelor degree I decided that what I wanted was a good PhD from a top US institution.

But one step at a time. So here is my question: Barcelona GSE or Stockholm School of Economics for my Masters Degree? I wasn't able to find a direct answer in here, hence I started this topic.

I am referring for the 2 year Masters in International/Applied Economics @ SSE , and the 9 month Master in Economics @ BGSE

I'm searching the internet about SSE's Masters placements, but they only mention -the extremely great- placements in the industry, and nothing about placements in PhDs . On the other hand BGSE is all about their PhD placements all over the world, and mainly in the US.

Therefore my dilemma. Although SSE is a great and well established institution with a better (?) reputation and credentials than BGSE, in this specific situation it seems that others do the work, others get the glory.

As I understand from what I've read, in the case of BGSE there is a gap year where you either pursuit a RA or you begin with your PhD at UPF and then transfer in the US? So as a matter of time, in the long term there is a resemblance between the programs. The same applies about the costs , even without tuition the 2 years at Sweden are gonna be probably more expensive or about the same.

A big plus in favour of Stockholm is the exchange programs in the second year. You are able to spend a semester, tuition free, in places like UCLA, Columbia and Upenn.

Last but not least, as a guy from the Mediterranean, Barcelona wins hands down for its sun and the climate in general although Stockholm is a magnificent place to live -besides the long cold winters- .

Enough with my jibber jabber, I'm anticipating your answers, and sorry for the long post.

Thank you in advance :)

The MA program at Barcelona GSE has a stronger reputation than that at SSE. Indeed, I believe that this is the case even for economics PhD programs and research in general. For example, BGSE is ranked higher than SSE here (as UPF) and here (as BGSE). Further, I am sceptical of the level of preparation of a Master's program for the purposes of a PhD as soon as the words "International" or "Applied" are thrown in. I would say that BGSE wins hands down if your intent is to go to a PhD program.

The MA program at Barcelona GSE has a stronger reputation than that at SSE. Indeed, I believe that this is the case even for economics PhD programs and research in general.

Thank you setsanto for your quick response. As far as I understand, you suggest that Barcelona ''wins'' even if eventually I won't pursue a PhD . I surely agree with your objections about the preparation at Stockholm, I believe it's orientated mainly for industry .

Anyway

My heart already belongs in Spain, there is just a little part of my brain that fights back . But the sun always wins in the end :tan: It's good to know, that it is a better choice academically too.

It's true that BGSE has good PhD placements, but to be placed well you must end up at the top of your class (say 10th-15th percentile) which is not that easy. Also it's a 1-year program, which means that if you want to apply to PhD programs in the US you'll have to wait another year since by the time you apply you won't have any grades and recommendation letters from BGSE. I know little details about the program at SSE but the school has a good reputation overall. Their economics PhD is quite good, but I don't know anything about the Masters in International/Applied Economics. Yet, the fact that it's a 2-year program will solve the problem I mentioned above.