Urch Forums

Grad Stats vs Ordinary Diff Eq.

Slimy

I have a choice between taking either graduate level stats or an ordinary differential equations class this semester. Due to a schedule conflict, I cannot take both. Does anybody think one might look better to admissions committees than the other?

I'll be applying to mid-range econ PhD programs this fall and I've already taken: Three semester calc sequence, undergrad stats, real analysis and linear algebra - all with As.

Thanks in advance.

I have a choice between taking either graduate level stats or an ordinary differential equations class this semester. Due to a schedule conflict, I cannot take both. Does anybody think one might look better to admissions committees than the other?

I'll be applying to mid-range econ PhD programs this fall and I've already taken: Three semester calc sequence, undergrad stats, real analysis and linear algebra - all with As.

Thanks in advance.

When you say "Grad Stats," what precisely does this refer to. Is this a typical advanced stat course for Master's students/Upper level Undergrads, or is specifically a more advanced Master's or Ph.D level stats course?

If you already have a Senior undergrad/grad type stats course, then I would go with ODE, unless you are applying to Econometric programs specifically.

Can you take grad stats this semester and ODE next semester (and mention somewhere on your application that you are doing so)? Grad stats would be a stronger signal, but some departments may expect you to have taken ODE.

Yeah, that's what I would plan to do if I took the stats class.

When you say "Grad Stats," what precisely does this refer to. Is this a typical advanced stat course for Master's students/Upper level Undergrads, or is specifically a more advanced Master's or Ph.D level stats course?

If you already have a Senior undergrad/grad type stats course, then I would go with ODE, unless you are applying to Econometric programs specifically.

The first stats class I took was the standard upper division undergraduate stats course, and the grad stats course in question is the typical advanced stats course for master's students.