Urch Forums

Worth visiting when wait-listed?

econandonandon

Hey all. I recently got waitlisted for a school and they've invited me to attend their visit days along with people who were actually accepted. I was wondering whether there might be any point of my attendance? It is apparently very unlikely that I will have heard anything more solid by then. Would a lack of attendance hinder my chances at getting in (which I suspect may be low anyway)?

Cheers.

I would say it depends on how much you like the school. If it is a top choice then going and meeting people can improve your chances. I have a friend who was wait listed at a math program, went to a visitation day spoke to some professors and impressed them so much they gave him an offer the next week.

This is purely speculative, but you visiting will be a great signal about how serious you are about the program. Hence you could be given priority on the waitlist. I think last year somebody here got WL turned into acceptance right after visiting and talking to professors there. So, if you are serious about the school, definitely visit. Not much to loose (some money and time) but a lot to gain.

As an extension to the OP, what could waitlisted international applicants who are invited to but unable to attend the open house day do to strengthen their chances of admission?

I do not think that will hurt your chances at all!

They are aware that you have to spend a lot of money in order to attend, just for a couple of days.

In my case, for example, is above USD 2.000 for the flight. Besides leaving work.

One Department offered me some help, but I am admitted there.

I would not worry but show interest in emails and regret not being able to attend.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll try and visit then, I'm international so it'll be a big deal but they said they'll reimburse some of my travel. I have another offer which has an open day a couple of days after and isn't far away so might just make a bit of a holiday out of it. If I do do that how does anyone know how I should go about the reimbursement? Can I only ask one school for a travel reimbursement or would it not be too cheeky to see if I can get both to cover part of the cost (probably still won't cover all of it...)

Thanks for all the advice. I'll try and visit then, I'm international so it'll be a big deal but they said they'll reimburse some of my travel. I have another offer which has an open day a couple of days after and isn't far away so might just make a bit of a holiday out of it. If I do do that how does anyone know how I should go about the reimbursement? Can I only ask one school for a travel reimbursement or would it not be too cheeky to see if I can get both to cover part of the cost (probably still won't cover all of it...)

At least one school specifically stated in their reimbursement policy that they will divide ticket costs equally with other schools for combined international trips, so I think that they'll probably work with you on that if you ask them.