Urch Forums

Should I go for a visit?

IMB8000

I received 2 offers from top-15 (or top-10 im not sure where to rank them). They both have a great program and I'm thrilled to be accepted. And ill honestly be happy attending either. However in the email for one of them, they detailed the date for the visit which is the same date for my dream school. I haven't been accepted or denied from it so im guessing that i am in an implied waiting list and i have a good shot from getting in (one of my professor with ties to the school said he would be surprised if i didn't get an offer). I want to go to both visiting days as it'll probably help me make my decision if it comes down to the two of them. But i also don't want to get accepted later and both miss the visiting day for my dream school(which ill most likely attend if offered), and be in a visiting day that ill feel I'm wasting their time.

Any advice? And i know i should contact the school soon to set up the visit day, but how much time can i postpone it?

Thank you

I would ask them by when you need to respond.

I would go to the visit day if you don't get accepted/hear back from your dream school by the deadline. If you get in to your dream school eventually, they're not going to rescind your acceptance because you couldn't make your visit day. Just explain you made a prior commitment but you're quite certain you plan to accept their offer.

I received 2 offers from top-15 (or top-10 im not sure where to rank them). They both have a great program and I'm thrilled to be accepted. And ill honestly be happy attending either. However in the email for one of them, they detailed the date for the visit which is the same date for my dream school. I haven't been accepted or denied from it so im guessing that i am in an implied waiting list and i have a good shot from getting in (one of my professor with ties to the school said he would be surprised if i didn't get an offer). I want to go to both visiting days as it'll probably help me make my decision if it comes down to the two of them. But i also don't want to get accepted later and both miss the visiting day for my dream school(which ill most likely attend if offered), and be in a visiting day that ill feel I'm wasting their time.

Any advice? And i know i should contact the school soon to set up the visit day, but how much time can i postpone it?

Thank you

If you are going to attend your dream school regardless of when you get accepted (i.e. you strictly prefer it to either of your two offers), then I don't see a reason why visiting said school (pending an admission before visit day) even matters. Visit the school you don't think you'd want to attend-see if it competes in anyway to the expectations of your dream.

It is likely that you can visit on alternative days. Schools are used to these overlaps. You might not get as comprehensive a look at the department, but you'll probably be match up with some graduate students and a few professors for the day.

The downside is -- you don't get to meet some of the potential incoming cohort. Which can matter a lot, too.

It is likely that you can visit on alternative days. Schools are used to these overlaps. You might not get as comprehensive a look at the department, but you'll probably be match up with some graduate students and a few professors for the day.

The downside is -- you don't get to meet some of the potential incoming cohort. Which can matter a lot, too.

I am sorry if I am being naive, but how does meeting some of the potential incoming cohort matter?

Thanks for all the responses, ill email them to find out whats the possible last date to rsvp and wait until then. That seems like the best course of action(i honestly didn't even think about it, i dont know why)

Also even though right now i would love to go my dream school, I wouldn't say that'll ill attend there regardless; i think funding and some of the answers i get during the visits will really shape my decision. So to me visiting days are kind of important. (also as ColonelForbin says itll be cool to meet my potential cohort)