Urch Forums

Barcelona GSE?

RosaZeng

Well, it's about time to make a decision. I'm from Taiwan and we don't have many European PhD or Masters. 90 percent of the faculty are from the US in my department.

I browsed the website of the BGSE.

Their courses seem good. Advanced courses seem to be a good preparation for further PhD.

The teaching faculty is also outstanding in Europe, especially for the connection with the US.

The fee seems reasonable compared to the US. (Unfortunately I don't got any waive or scholarship and have some issues with the funding.)

Their PhD placement seems competitive as well.

Is there any consideration, particularly the negative one that I haven't considered?

I also got admission from Tilburg and lately applied for LSE but I guess Barcelona GSE is the by far best for me.

I would like to know the PhD foresight for the master degree in BGSE.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Their PhD placement seems competitive as well.

Is there any consideration, particularly the negative one that I haven't considered?

Thanks.

If you look up the people that got placed at top 10 places in the US, you will see that most of them are local student from Barcelona who have done their undergraduate at UPF already. These people tend to use their connections and grades from undergrad to apply to top 10-20 US. They normally enrol in the BGSE master because they need a "gap" year in order to prepare the time-intensive applications.

If you do not have any previous connections to UPF or a strong pedigree from another top school, you may only have a shot at top 10-20 US, if you rank among the top 5-10 persons in the Econ master class, otherwise not!