Urch Forums

MSc Economics or MSc Financial Economics at Essex

funandgames

Hi!

Already posted this in the Graduate Admissions Forum and was told that I might rather get an answer here.

I got admitted to both an MSc Economics and an MSc Financial Economics at Essex and was wondering if any of you could give me their opinion on these two programmes. I do already have a Master in Industrial Maths (Financial Engineering etc) and am halfway through a BSc Economics. I do not want to do a PhD after the programme, but find a job (hopefully in Finance) somewhere in the UK or Europe. I was told that Essex was really good in Game Theory, but was wondering how the Financial Economics courses and the overall reputation of the department were? Anything you guys know about the chances of getting a good job after Essex?

Would appreciate all help.

Regards

• Like 1

Hi!

Already posted this in the Graduate Admissions Forum and was told that I might rather get an answer here.

I got admitted to both an MSc Economics and an MSc Financial Economics at Essex and was wondering if any of you could give me their opinion on these two programmes. I do already have a Master in Industrial Maths (Financial Engineering etc) and am halfway through a BSc Economics. I do not want to do a PhD after the programme, but find a job (hopefully in Finance) somewhere in the UK or Europe. I was told that Essex was really good in Game Theory, but was wondering how the Financial Economics courses and the overall reputation of the department were? Anything you guys know about the chances of getting a good job after Essex?

Would appreciate all help.

Regards

Actually, sorry I directed you here. I assumed it's PhD-related at first without reading. I think the best forum for this kind of question is at:

http://www.global-derivatives.com/forum/index.php?board=11.0

I would go for Financial Economics or even better Finance.

To my opinion (which has been wrong many times) any degree with the word Finance/Financial will increase your job prospects. The job market is full of people with "general" degrees: management, economics etc so, I say, unless it is a MBA, choose a degree with as much specialization as possilbe.

Essex has several programs: Finance, Financial Economics, Financial and Business Economics, Economics, Econometrics, Statistics and Econometrics etc. To my experience the only structural difference is the core courses but the degree title can make a difference!

• Like 1