Urch Forums

Private Sector Jobs

econsgirl

Hey guys, so here's the situation. I have talked to some of my professors and they frankly told me that chances to get into Top 20 programmes are slim. (because I am an international applicant and I am not from a very reknown university in Economics plus I have not done anything that drastic to impress anyone yet)

However, my professors have told me that if I'm not aiming to become a professor, then I don't have to worry about not getting into top 20 programmes. My concern here is that lets say I get into top 20 to 50 programmes, what kind of career options are available for me in the private sector/institutions? I know people hire Econs PHD to do research in institutions like IMF/Fed/Banks, consultancy... what are other widely available jobs?

Will it be easy to get these jobs if I graduate from top 20 to 50 schools? I'm not aiming to make lots of money... But say get an 80K-100K job for starting pay in private sector? Is it gonna be tough?

You will have many opportunities outside of academia, such as, consulting, banking, insurance, transfer pricing, other corporate economist jobs, the FED, IMF, World Bank, Local/State/Federal Government, thinks tanks, and probably many more. I don't know about the public sector or think tank jobs above, but I think you can definitely make between $80K - $100K in the private sector (in fact, in some jobs you'll probably start out in excess of $100K).

You can take a look here, as Econ PhDs are qualified for some of these private sector jobs: Analytic Recruiting - Major Job Search Categories

However, I hope you realize that you can still be an academic if that's what you truly want. I got the sense that you think you cannot be an academic coming from a school in the 20 - 50 range, which is simply not true. Sure, your chances of landing a job in a school in the top 30 is almost nil, and even getting a 30 - 50 placement is pretty slim. If you're willing to work at a school outside of the top 50 though, you'll likely have a shot at some places. And then there is small state schools, small private schools, and liberal arts colleges; you can be competitive at many of these schools coming from the 20 - 50 range. As far as pay goes, I think the average starting salary at a research university with a PhD program that's outside the top 30 is approximately $80K. At the other types of schools I mentioned, I think the average starting salary is about $65K.