Urch Forums

Change of Graduate Program

Explorer

The new program is a social science and it is a master's program. But I am asking this question with regard to whether or not I have any legal obligations to my current department and whether or not it might have any consequences in the future if I apply to a PhD program in this new field.

My thoughts:

1. Having dropped out of a phd program will not hurt you much unless you reapply to an econ program. You can always say "I realized that the methodology of modern economics is laughable and economists are dorks" and earn brownie points on your SoP to the sociology department (for example) that you apply to. Other social scientists dont like us economists much. :p

2. Yes, your department will be unhappy if you drop out. But they do expect some students to drop out over the course of the program. They dont want unmotivated phd students hanging around for years. (surely, econ departmentents must know something about sunk costs!) They may make things a little unpleasant for you, but I have not heard of any department taking a student to court for dropping out. It's quite common in engineering for students to enter as phd students, be funded, and leave with the masters. it is obviously frowned upon, but it wont get you behind bars.