Urch Forums

MA Econ at NYU vs. MSc in Finance and Econ from Warwick for Private Sector Jobs

Not to repeatedly beat a dead horse,but I have a question about Master's programs in Economics. First some facts,

1. I have been offered admission to the MA program in Economics at NYU and the MSc Finance and Economics program at Warwick in the UK.

2. I have also received PhD offers with full funding from UC Davis and UC Irvine.

3. I am waiting to hear back from Cornell and Johns Hopkins University PhD.

In this respect, I have three questions:

1. In terms of getting a job in the PRIVATE SECTOR, which Masters program (Warwick or NYU) will give me better placement and exposure?

2. My math background includes Linear Algebra, Multivariable Calculus, Mathematical Proof Techniques, Advanced Calculus and Probability Theory. How difficult will the first year of a PhD program at UC Davis be for me?

3. If anybody has any idea, what is the rate of dropout after the first year at UC Davis?

Any advice/suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Having met many Warwick MSc Finance and Ecnomics students, my feeling is that you will be better of with the NYU econ MA.

LSE, Oxford and Warwick all have finance&economics masters and especially LSE offers plenty of variations (just "finance", "finance and accounting", financial economics etc) (IMHO the big name in UK is London Business School and within Warwick the good/tough MSc is Financial Mathematics offered by WBS and WMaths Institute)

Anyway, I'm thinking how can you distinguish yourself from all the above graduates? (Imagine classes of at least 50 x (how many similar programs)) I belive NYU will give you an advantage.

(Of course comparing two programs involves comparing your chances of doing well in each program etc)

Warwick is a "new top university" as you go further and further from UK fewer and fewer employers will be aware of it. NYU on the other hand is a traditionally top university that every decent employer should be aware of it (either it is London, Hong Kong, Toronto or Tokyo).

I'll only attempt Q1.

If you really want to work in London, then Warwick might be better than NYU: a substantial number of British people have the (unfounded) idea that British education is far superior to that of any other country in the world (the US in particular). Moreover, Warwick is highly specialized in placing students in very good private sector, finance-related City jobs (i.e., not all that excellent if you have academic aspirations). However, this really begs the question why you didn't apply to a London school in the first place, since that would have given you a considerably better location (vicinity of prospective employers, quality of life, etc.). I'm assuming here that since you're also looking at NYC, cost of living (about the only advantage Coventry has over London) isn't really an issue for you.

If you want to work anywhere else in the world (for your initial placement at least), then I would think that NYU is superior.

I second this last post. Some british guys I knew insisted that taking away Harvard and maybe Yale, the top 15 British schools are far better than their american equivalents! To the point, NYU is decent for professional jobs, but not good at all for entry in to PhD, as their courses are policy oriented. I wouldn't recommend it. Warwick Finance and Econ might be better for that. I have a friend who did well in that and is now doing a PhD at LBS.

Some british guys I knew insisted that taking away Harvard and maybe Yale, the top 15 British schools are far better than their american equivalents!

But is that the opinion and the level of information of the employer at whom a NYU graduate would seek job?

"People" may have many opinions but the good firms at which a NYU or Warwick graduate should seek employment, know how good each school is .(at least about the well-know schools)

(Again, just a feeling) I cannot believe that entering or completing Warwick MSc Finance and Economics (which btw this year changed its title from Economics and Finance) is as hard as entering or completing NYU MA Economics. The standards at NYU have to be higher. (which does NOT necessarily mean that NYU graduates are rewarded for that. I really don't know)