Urch Forums

What makes a school a BAD choice?

Karina 07

It seems to me that most people will end up pretty well off no matter where they go if they are deciding between two schools of a similar calibre. People's interests change, so it's hard to pick very well based on interest. And so on.

So maybe the more appropriate question is: what makes a school a BAD pick? Not in theory, but in *practice*. It seems like most people muddle through and get out and get a placement roughly based on their skills.

Reasons I can think of having a much worse outcome:

- being in a location you hate which increases the chances of you leaving;

- being in a school with unsupportive faculty, which increases the chances of you leaving;

- being in a school with unsupportive peers?;

- having a *terrible* fit with faculty. Not just so-so fit, but really awful.

I mean, sure, maybe there are good reasons to keep looking for the "perfect" school for you, but what experiences have you guys seen or heard of which'd provide some evidence of things to Really avoid? Given that *most* people end up really happy at whatever place they choose (like how in behavioural econ it's been shown that after people make a choice they end up valuing the one they chose as better than they originally evaluated it before they chose).

Just a quick post before getting back to studying... as you know I'm kind of swamped at the moment in midterms this week.

• Like 1

Good topic, Karina. I'd add one more item to your list: attending a school that doesn't have any depth in the your fields. It really slows your progress if you are unable to take the classes you need on schedule. Also, while professors certainly advise students outside of their primary fields, it helps to have at least one advisor who is familiar with current work in the field you want to study. Since faculty members do sometimes move around between schools, a good way to avoid ending up in this situation is to choose a school that has several professors in your field.

Choosing a school because of one particular person can lead to disappointment if that person leaves, is very busy, or just doesn't turn out to be a good personal or professional match for you.

That's absolutely true. If your colleagues are all loners, it can make for a difficult, if not toxic, atmosphere. This is especially the case if you're in a department that doesn't care about students until they pass prelims.

Just a quick post before getting back to studying... as you know I'm kind of swamped at the moment in midterms this week.

Hear, hear. I'm doing the exact same thing.

That could be bad, but equally bad may be ending up somewhere you don't fit in with your peers for other reasons--political, cultural, religious, even methodological outlook... (Of course, the opposite--being part of a monolithic department full of true believers you agree with--isn't healthy either.)

How do we find out about the answers to these questions? Especially whether the faculties are unsupportive? And the supportiveness of peer, isn't there a possibility that it might be different even in the same university in different years, so it will not be possible to find out about that before joining that university? Also, Are there any universities which really have a very bad reputations in any of these issues?

How do we find out about the answers to these questions? Especially whether the faculties are unsupportive? And the supportiveness of peer, isn't there a possibility that it might be different even in the same university in different years, so it will not be possible to find out about that before joining that university? Also, Are there any universities which really have a very bad reputations in any of these issues?

My fear about Chicago GSB: I've heard from reliable sources (grads who are now profs) that faculty there don't provide much support. It is sink or swim totally on your own. Since some here have said prelim pass rates have improved in recent years, I am hopeful that faculty interaction has as well. Can anyone comment?

- being in a location you hate which increases the chances of you leaving;

Unless you really like snow and cold weather and nature, Madison is a horrible location. Football Saturdays are horrible - they close down pretty much half the campus area.

- being in a school with unsupportive faculty, which increases the chances of you leaving;

The Sr faculty here are generally not supportive the first 2 years. I think after you pass the prelim and field papers, they definately help more.

Wisc is a good school because of the student community here.

- having a *terrible* fit with faculty. Not just so-so fit, but really awful.

Most people can find what they're looking for here. Nothing experimental or behavioral tho.

I think the best way to find out is to visit. You can ask current students about the faculty, and get a sense of how the current students interact with each other. Each cohort is different, but the department's overall atmosphere does set the tone.