Urch Forums

Do the extra questions inserted in Reading or Listening really count?

davidcho

Having taken a bunch of mock tests, I found that there are lots of extra questions inserted in Reading or Listening. I am quite used to it now, and I believe so do lots of people.:)

And today I would like to ask, do those questions really count?

One of my TOEFL teachers said that those questions are just for testing our ability to use English correctly, so we don't necessarily need to do those, however, another teacher said we need to do those (as a result, we need to stay focus until finishing the questions.)

Obviously, I am stuck here:p

So I would like to ask for some possible suggestions~

I mean like in the reading section, there are likely to be 3~5 passages included right. And in the listening section, there would be 6~9 passages right?

I heard that the two extra passages would randomly be included in either reading or listening section. Those are the questions I am talking about. :)

Well, both teachers are partially right. When you get the 2 extra reading passages or 3 extra listening passages, they are used only for research purposes (to test future questions) and do not count as part of your total. However...

... your teacher who told you that you need to try your best on ALL questions is absolutely correct. This is because you won't know which 2 (or 3) passages are the "extra" questions and which ones are the "regular" ones that are graded and which ALL students receive.

Another correction -- you don't always receive extra reading or extra listening passages. I would estimate that at least 50% of the time or greater you will receive only the regular 3 reading passages and 6 listening passages. Also, it's possible that you could receive extra reading AND extra listening on the same test -- I know it seems totally unfair, but it's happened to at least 3 or 4 of my students.

thank you!! Tino & Corey~~

I didn't know that some tests do not have extra questions. The mock tests or even the real tests I have taken all had extra questions, so I thought it's common in each test :P

I'm appreciated for your replies :")

Now I understand how tests go~~