Urch Forums

prepare for toefl - need TOEFL listening and TWE scoring

krantiprajapati

I can't recommend you a particular site which will help you improve your listening. I have problems with this section of the test, too. However there are a number of ways to better your understanding of spoken English:

- Listen to conversations and academic texts in American English. You can do that by listening to Voice of America for example (they broadcast their programs on the net, just have a look at their site) or watching TV channels in English. I don't know where you are from and which TV programmes you have access to, but you can spend more time watching CNN, Discovery, Explorer, National Geographic, etc.

- Learn some idiomatic expression. They often appear in the listening section. See the topics in the Toefl Listening forum for details and links to sites containing such expressions.

- Improve your vocabulary. It is even more difficult to understand the meaning of a word you don't know when hearing it than when reading it.

- Practice doing more tests. There is a lot of preparation material available.

- Concentrate. It is extremely important to concentrate. Especialy on the academic lectures. Even native speakers sometimes commit errors because they are not concentrated enough while listening.

I hope this information will help you. Good luck.