Urch Forums

Planning to give exam on 9th May. Please check my essays. Thanks to all :)

nofullstop

Hi

I am using Barron's for my preparation and till now I have scored around 25 each for the reading and the listening section in 5 model tests that I have given. I want to evaluate myself for the writing section and for that I wrote two different essays. It would be great if you people could read them and tell me what else can I do to improve myself.

Thanks everybody for their precious time :)

Independent Essay "An Important Leader"

Question

Leaders like John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King have made important contributions to the people of United States. Name another world leader you think is important. Give specific reasons for your choice.

In my opinion Mahatma Gandhi is another world leader whose efforts totally changed the future of India. As of today India is one of the few countries that have successfully faced the recent economic meltdown and might well turn out to be an integral part of world economy in future. If it weren’t the efforts of Mahatma Gandhi then India might have not touched the heights that it is enjoying today. I will support my statement with four different reasons.

Non-violence was one of the most important weapons of Mahatma Gandhi that later on made the English rulers leave India. He worked on the policy of offering second cheek of his to somebody who would slap him on first cheek. Although in present scenario this might look foolish but during those days it was his determined effort of following non-violence that made him the strongest man of India. He had become the leader Indian Freedom Movement.

Mahatma Gandhi was strong believer of equality amongst humans and strongly condemned the cast system which was prevalent in the country during his days. He would willingly eat food in homes of backward class Indians thus defying the lower/upper class borders that were dividing the country.

Mahatma Gandhi was smart to unite the complete nation into one power that was ready to face any pressure being applied by British rulers. The famous Dandi March, which was actually a peaceful walk that he covered with thousands of his followers from his home to the region where he found Indian Salt, virtually told the British rulers that he was determined to use only national materials for the nation’s growth.

Lastly, Mahatma Gandhi always presented himself as the perfect idol which the nation could follow thus making it easy for the country to figure one leader and follow his policies that would surely bring them freedom. His clothing was localized, his speech was local, his aim was nation’s freedom, and he was honest from the core of his heart thus presenting himself as an idol that the nation admired.

I personally feel that the policies of Mahatma Gandhi might seem simple yet they were applied so well that India was able to win its freedom on its own terms.

Independent Essay "Family Pets"

Question:

Read and think about the following statement:

Pets should be treated like family members.

Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give reasons to support your opinion.

In my opinion pets should be treated like family members and I will support my stand with three different examples.

God has given brains to humans but unfortunately man has started to use his thinking power mostly for his selfish efforts thus creating boundaries on its own earth. On the other hand animals, especially pets, are always considered to be highly loyal to their owners thus increasing their importance in any home. We can consider the example of dogs that happens to be one of the well known pets in those homes that prefer keeping pets. Dog is considered to be extremely loyal to its master and as a family member dog always tries to please his master. Hardly would we hear cases where dogs irritate their masters though exceptions are always present. Similarly cats are also one of the honest pets and are preferred by many families.

Security today has become an integral part of any household but it is always costly for an average middle class family to hire an expert human security personal but on the other hand an animal well trained to keep an eye on any unknown entry into the house won’t ever cost the family heavy bills. Once again dogs can be used as pets that could look after the security of a home due to their high smelling power and their attacking characteristic. If trained well then dogs can prove to be an important member of the family that is also responsible for the security of their homes especially at night when everybody is fast asleep.

Lastly, pets act as integral part of the family and as time passes the members of the family will surely start feeling comfortable with a particular pet and its absence will also be felt. It is natural to fall in love with pets due to their mesmerizing aroma and their all out love for their owners.

Personally I appreciate the idea of pets acting as family members as they are also the part of God’s creations. God might have given humans slight edge over other living species but that nowhere means that we start suppressing them.

Thanks again for your time