Urch Forums

Please rate my essay about "What would I change about my hometown"

ehumet

In my opinion, I consider myself as someone lucky for having been born in the city of Barcelona. This city has something that traps you once you are there. I don’t know how to explain, is more a feeling than a fact, but it’s true. However, there are some important improvement points. I am going to mention these as follows.

Traffic is a mess in my city, not that bad as it could be in NYC, but it is not so far from that neither. People usually get late at work because of that. Sometimes, in rush hour, it could take you up to 2 hours to arrive at your workplace. And at the top of that, traffic is one of our main reasons of pollution, not only in terms of smog pollution, but also in terms of acoustic pollution. If I could choose, I would try to establish the London model. In London there is a special tax for those who want to drive through the city. Moreover, these measures would result more effective together with a decrease in public transport ticket prices. Therefore, it would be an ecological way to collect founds for the city.

All big cities have an important park in it. We just have to stare other cities as Madrid, New York City, Munich, etc. Why we cannot have one here? Green parks are a kind of lungs for the city, and these become imperative if there is a pollution problem in there. Furthermore, we can understand that parks as a way out for people. We can see parks as a place where people can forget daily problems and stress. And even more, we can see parks as a place where somebody can enjoy his live just spending time doing nothing. Hence, probably with a really huge park in my hometown, people would be happier.

Finally, we must remember that one of our main economical inputs is tourism. That is why we should take more care about it. As a matter of fact, in the most touristic areas of the city the prices are extremely high, sometimes even doubling the figure of that in other areas. This fact, together with the insecurity people usually feel on this zones, give the tourism a bad impression about Barcelona.

From my point of view, I consider that if we just could improve these 3 critical points, my hometown would result in much better place for living and for visiting.

------------

Any comments will be welcome! Thanks in advance!