about toefl ibt writing

mike444

hey am new here and am despret .

my first test i wrote in the

1-q-- about 55 words out of 150

2-q-- about 77 words out of 150

and the result was 11 out of 30

second test was 125 and 225 words but with the same result

the third one was about the same amount of word of the second one but i got 12 .

so tell me please help me what are my mistakes here

The way you (and many people) write is the way you (they) speak, which is wrong. Try looking at an Op/Ed column of a newspaper, and your will see how they use punctuation marks in addition to the correct vocabulary. There is a classic English book, "The Elements of Style", if you want to learn more about grammar and sentence structure.

-monk

The writing, especially the Integrated Writing, is one of the most complicated parts of the TOEFL. Even if your English is good, it is very hard for many people. With your score level, I think you need to take TOEFL training from a professional. Look around the forums, there are a number available.

Tino

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys,

I am wondering about the integrated essay in Toefl(ibt) exam because it is totally driving me crazy. I've taken the exam three times and I almost failed in in the intergrated essay. I am okay with independent essay, but the integrated seems evil for me. I tried to trick them by putting some useful forms of combination between lecture and passage, but they human raters were smarter than me and it did not work. I am getting tired of this task, so would someone have any idea about how to pass this essay?. please do not be shy to give me your successful factor. I appreciate you.

Sahal

Hello,

I know that the most important thing is in the lecture and they want the know my understanding on the lecture. On the other hand, the main problem is that there is no time to catch the information from the lecture, and the lecture is 2 minutes. I guess it is so complicated to take notes and the main ideas in 2 minutes. Please advise me about how to take notes in 2 minutes

Sahal, covering how to take notes on the TOEFL (or really anything) is not something that can be done in forum with a few paragraphs. There are multiple strategies that you have to learn and try to find the one that works best for you. And then you have to practice it many times.

What I can tell you quickly is that you need to show you understand the relationship between the reading and the lecture, but really all you need from the reading is the main idea.... which is most surely expressed in the first few sentences of the reading. That main idea should guide you in what you listen for in the lecture and your notes.

Tino

Hello,

Obviously, there is no way to get a high score in the integrated essay unless I keep practicing strongly. The problem is that I have no time to practice and my ESL program schedule in school is extremely busy. I just started to learn English 14 months ago, and I have so much pressure. I have taken the Toefl three times and my last one was higher than others. Threre is one coming soon. i am almost in a dilemma and if I get a good score in the integrated one my totall score will increase highly.

Thanks

HHHHHaaaaa ! that is too much for me, and I am still beginner. I know that I did something, which was increasing my score in a short period and a lot of people cannot get that effort and success like my situation. I am grateful to all of the people who stand beside me to make a considerable improvement in my English language. I still have a very long way to succeed. I am trying to push the envelope by taking this academic exam see if my knowledge and ability can pan out or not at least.

Hello,

How are you doing guys?. Actually, my fourth Toefl(ibt) exam is on April second and I just have one week left. Would anyone give me quick suggestions about listening section and the integrated essay please? I would be cheerful if someone would help me.

Sahal