Urch Forums

#094: Dancing plays an important role in a culture

Erin

• 1 month later...

Hi Erin,

I found this a very difficult topic to write something about and of course that is why my essay is not too long...

By the way, as I am the first to be brave enough ;)to send something on this topic, could you please make any comments on my essay?? What estimate grade could I expect ?

Thank you very much and regards,

Márcio

I strongly agree that dancing plays an important role in a culture. Dancing has aspects that can identify a culture, is a way to get together with other people and is an habit that exists for centuries.

First, dancing has aspects that can identify a culture. For example, in the 1950’s during the appearance of rock and roll, one could associate the way Elvis Presley expressed himself when he danced with a different behavior of the young people. In addition to that, dancing is something that sets each culture apart from others. For instance, it is possible to see that every country has its typical dance which brings with it a lot of significant aspects of its culture and lifestyle. The clothes people wear and the movements that they do are inserted in a historical context. For example, in Japan, the house maids that served the emperors had a dance to show him they were ready to prepare his meal whenever needed.

Second, dancing is a very efficient way to get together with people. If we are in a party, for example, we can see that when people are dancing there are no social differences between them. It is very interesting to notice how easily people from a wide range of interests and origins can socialize without a word just by the act of dancing together.

Finally, the habit of dancing is something that resists throughout time for generations. Due to that, it is a tradition that must be preserved. In fact, it is not an obligation for men to do that, but instead, a pleasure. It is so human an habit that despite being so primitive, it appears to be one of the most successful and lasting habits of our culture.

Due to the reasons stated, I think dancing is not only plays a very important rule in a culture but also is one of the most fascinating aspects of human nature.

• 3 months later...

Hey all, please comment and mark my essay.:D I have done a lot of research otherwise I can't finish this article since it is too specialized and I am not familiar with dance! And so, I have used more time than it sets.:crazy:

#094: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Dancing plays an important role in a culture. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

[dance][dance][dance][dance][dance][dance][dance][dance][dance]

Dancing, being one of the leisure activities, represents a country¡¦s dignity, culture and personalities of the country¡¦s citizen to some extent. Minuet, Tap-dance, Tango, Latin dance, Ballet, Flamenco and, especially, folk-dance represent the style and custom of the country. However, I would like to stress that dancing is obviously not the only criteria that can determine one¡¦s culture, other attributes like architecture, fashion and politics can also shape the culture.

People with the like personalities always group together while people with unlike characteristics usually repel each other. Some countries have a very acute culture that other people can easily observe and identify it. For instance, French are romantic, Japanese are clean, while Korean are very united. Flamenco originated at Spain demonstrates a very strong rhythmic and energetic arrangement. Without knowing its origin, one can easily associate the style with the enthusiastic Spanish. It may be largely due to the specific attributive culture of Spain which is fraught of fervor. Other leisure activities like music or bullfight also shows this spectacular attribute.

Very often, style of dancing is a portrayal of the stories, memories, the daily living environment of the place where the choreographers grow up. Whether the dance can be widely spread out depends on the acceptance level of the people. Therefore, those who have the similar, if not the same, stories or live together can easily accept it. Gradually, the newly created dance becomes popular in the group which share similar culture. That is to say, dancing can somewhat represent the culture. Tango is one of the greatest examples.

Buenos Aires, a city of Argentina, was mainly comprised of the peasants, European immigrants and some local poor citizens. People at that time would like to identify themselves as a new social group and so invented such a dancing style. To show their close ties, the two dancers embrace each other tightly. The body movements as well as the music give us a sense of mystery which is the same as basic Argentina culture gives us. Since Tango is a conglomerate of the culture created in Buenos Aires, it became prevalent all over the country.

Only when people share similar culture can they accept the particular kind of dancing style. As such, dancing, to some extent, plays an important role in determining a culture.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Erin Billy

#094: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Dancing plays an important role in a culture. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

A culture is expressed in terms of the customs followed and also in terms of the forms of art like dancing.Hence ,I agree with the statement that dancing plays an important role in culture.

In my opinion, dance is a way of expressing our culture.The dance of our place would tell the rest of the world a lot about our culture. For example,I live in a county where there are a number of states and each state does vary in the customs followed.The dances in these states also vary.Hence, it is clear that the dances are like the mirror of your culture.

Also, the dances of our place help us identify ourselves as well as our community in a better way. They are like our treasures. They give us something to be proud of.For example, when a person from another country visits us we can proudly entertain them by taking them to the local dances.

Finally , I feel that dance is a means of recording our culture for the future generations.Some dances are about the history of our place while some others tell stories from our sacred books. Hence, dancing helps to preserve of culture.

In conclusion, the dance of every place in this world is unique and hence it is special to the people there. Dance not only provides entertainment but also helps to preserve and express our culture.Hence, Iam sure that all of us feel dance plays an important role in culture.