Urch Forums

Please, rate my essay...

didoman

Do you agree or disagree that progress is always good? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Human progress has made life easier and more convenient in many spheres. But is progress always good? This question is rather ambiguous and one could easily agree with the statement that progress is always good, looking at the different inventions and machines which facilitate our life and medicines which allow us to live longer. But progress has certain drawbacks, some of which I would like to discuss in the following paragraphs.

First of all, I would like to draw the attention to one of the most serious problems of modern society, which progress has led to – pollution. Ecological balance is damaged in almost every part of the world. The rain forest is being cut off and industrial plants are being built on its place. Those factories emit poisonous gases into the air and pour radioactive liquids into the rivers. The most frightening of all is that it gets harder and harder to find and preserve sources of potable water in most of the industrialized countries.

Second, the progress has led to the development of more and more sophisticated weapons which are meant to destroy life and property. For example, landmines cause the death of nearly a thousand people every day, not to mention those with torn limbs and other mayhems. And in many parts of the world projectiles are hurled at peaceful citizens in order “to preserve peace”.

Third, dangerous and malignant viruses are being created in military laboratories all over the world. And they are being used not only by regular army but also by terrorists. After the terrorist attacks in the USA, the UK, Spain and Turkey the threat of breathing poisonous gases or touching virulent powder without noticing it becomes more and more frightening in the congested city transport and airports these days.

As a conclusion I would say that besides its obvious positive features, progress has certain negative effects. Pollution, weapons and dangerous viruses are only small part of them. Most of the problems could be soothed by good will and proper international statutes and regulation and it depends on us whether those problems be eradicated or not.