Urch Forums

My first essay...please rate

vesely

I need to pass TOEFL at 1st of December and just started preparing for it.

Need at least 90 points

Please read my first essay =)

I would appreciate it

In some classes, course grades are based solely on exams, while in other classes, grades are based more on class participation than on exams. Which type of grading do you prefer? Use specific reasons to support your response.

In some classes, your grades are based on exams only, while in other classes, grades are based on your work during classes. I prefer both types of grading. In my opinion, it is better to look at how students work during semester. Then on exam calculate how student participated during classes and how he responded on questions during the exam.

Firstly, if grades are based only on class participation, people who are shy and did not work during classes can get a bad mark. Even if they are smart. If teacher concentrates only on class participation, then really good students’ can get a bad mark because of theirs character.

On exam such students have a chance to show teacher all they know and get a better mark.

Secondly, if teacher does not look at student’s participation during semester and concentrate only on exams answer, there will be students who did not do anything on classes. Even if they know half of the material, they have 50% chance to get a question they learned one night before the exam. It is the best type for students who are lucky. When I studied in University we had a few students of this type. They never said anything in the class. They prepared for exam for one or two days and passed it with really good scores.

I think the best way is to use both types of grading. Teacher has to look at students during semester and create his opinion about each student.

Then on exam ask more questions students who didn't work in class and have a little conversation with students who did a good job during semester.

In conclusion, if I were a teacher I would use both types of grading: class participation and answers on the exam. I think it is the most objective way to work with students.

How many points i can expect?

Any advices?

Thank you :)