Urch Forums

"Should businesses hire employees for their entire lives?" (Please read my essay)

lime

---

Businesses should hire employees for their entire lives. Do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

---

Nowadays, job opportunities surround us from everywhere. Such words as "CV", "interview" and "part-time job" became deeply rooted in our vernacular. Process of looking for, applying for and retiring from the job is considered as a natural process. Meanwhile, thinking of situation when the person is being hired only once for his entire life, makes me feel that it could be an ideal solution. It would be beneficial for both, companies and people. Indeed, businesses would have better qualified personnel, their stuff would do the best working on their only company and people would have confidence in tomorrow day.

Very often, people, looking for a job, apply for all possible positions just to try how it turns out, because there is always a way to retire and try another position. Companies, hiring those people, get primarily low qualified workers, whom they are trying to correct by teaching and providing with necessary work experience. After while, as the employee has got enough knowledge and skill, he retires in order to find another place. Businesses incur gigantic losses according to the money they invested in their potential workers, who finally just ran away. If every person was supposed to work only for one company till the end of his career, the company would safe him and therefore benefit from the skills it gave to him. Moreover, the company would be encouraged to invest more money in education of its employees without misgivings about loosing these investments.

Secondly, if one knew that his current company he's working on is the only one in his life and there wouldn't be any other, he would struggle much harder. I had a friend of mine, Matt, who was changing his jobs as the gloves, once in a season. There was no job where he honestly did his work hard. "Why should I struggle and do the best of me for this company if next month I will switch to another one?", - Matt was telling to me. From one point, he was right! Why should he? Otherwise, if Matt knew that in five years he would be in the same company, he would work more assiduously and meticulously in order to provide his company with higher profits in the future. Understanding of fact that specific company will be the source of your profit many years ahead, would be encouragement and good motivation for everybody to work hard.

Lastly, people cannot work efficiently under pressure of probability of being discharged for mistakes they make. My uncle, Ben, who is graphics designer, once got high salary test job. He had to finish very difficult project in one month. According to his employer, the success of the project would have guaranteed to him saving his position, while failure was the sign of immediate discharge. Ben, instead of working enthusiastically and with inspiration (which is of indispensable value in work process for every artist), had very hard stress which, ultimately, resulted in that he didn't cope with his assignment. Otherwise, guarantee, that your company will never discharge you whatever debacle you make, will give more freedom for everyone and incentive to fulfill duties more decisively.

Therefore, it looks apparent that existence of such labour system, where businesses hire stuff for their entire lives, has a lot of benefits. Doing that, companies would benefit from increasing skill level and professionalism of their employees. Not to mention that in such conditions people would work harder, confidently, and, consequently, better.