Urch Forums

H1B - Part-time MBA

counter

Hi,

I have several questions in regards to my current situation. Any help / advice that anybody can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Currently, I am holding a H-1B work visa. I wanted to go to a part-time MBA program. As far as I know, when you take an part time MBA, your legal status in the US will stay as an H1-B holder.

In regards to that, I have several question:

1. Do you need to be working in order to apply for a part time MBA?

2. What will happen, for example, if I get laid off, in the middle of taking my MBA. Would I be able to continue my school and change my status to F1?

3. Do I have to get out of the country to change my status to F1 after I got laid off?

Thank you

Very interesting case.

It all depends on the school/program. Usually F-1 visas are for FULL-time programs. You need to check with the school if

1) This program meets the requirements for the F-1 visa (ask them if they issue I-20's for this program)

2) If NO, then

A) Do they issue I-20's for their FULL-time program

B) Can you transfer from part-time to the full-time program

Because you can go to school while on H1B, but you must keep your job. If you lose the job for whatever reason, and cannot get another job, you may have to leave. So if you are in a part-time program and lose the job you can apply to change status or go home and get an F-1 visa, either one, but your school MUST issue you an I-20. What I am thinking is that if they dont issue I-20's for the part-time program, then you can transfer to the full-time program.

One thing, if you apply to change status here in the USA it may take 6 months (hopefully less) to be approved, during this time you cannot attend school. You just have to wait.

Tino